11+ Appeal - How to apply for a school now

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Trickie

11+ Appeal - How to apply for a school now

Post by Trickie »

Hi - my DD has just missed the 11+ by 3 points. We live in Cheshire and I thought I had to still put WGS and WKGS down as choices on the high school application form if we then wanted to appeal however the FAQs say not to as they will be removed and that we can appeal anyway after 1st march. Does anyone know what is the correct procedure please?
mitasol

Re: 11+ Appeal - How to apply for a school now

Post by mitasol »

Can you post a link to the FAQs.?

As you have said - Being unsuccessful with your preference gives you the legal right to appeal.
Adrestia

Post by Adrestia »

Hi,

I have just registered on the forum as I am in exactly the same position. DD missed the pass mark by 1! I telephoned Wirral Admissions and they directed me to the School Appeals form but is is not clear whether this is looked at before there has been a formal refusal. The detail about the preference being withdrawn is confusing though. I am also waiting for the Headteacher of DD's Primary to call me back as she might have some information re appeal. It's heart breaking isn't it!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

https://www.wirral.gov.uk/sites/default ... 202017.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Page 3, bottom right of FAQs Mitasol. Looks a bit odd to me ?? Yes the preference would be disregarded but would still be there as a preference and hence a pre requisite for appeal|?
Adrestia

Post by Adrestia »

Hi, I have just spoken to the Headteacher of our primary school and she was surprised that the school haven't been informed of the marks before they have been sent to parents. This is different from previous years. In the past when they have wanted to submit supporting information they have been told that if information is needed it will be requested.

I am not sure what the range of scores have been and whether a borderline score will considered, depending on how many applications they receive and whether there will be an issue of over/under subscription?
Trickie

Post by Trickie »

Goodness me one point that's such a shame for your DD. I will speak to school later or on Monday as we aren't on half term yet. I've heard of two very clever children getting 260 so not sure if that's a glimmer of hope!
Beacherlover1

Post by Beacherlover1 »

Adrestia wrote:Hi, I have just spoken to the Headteacher of our primary school and she was surprised that the school haven't been informed of the marks before they have been sent to parents. This is different from previous years. In the past when they have wanted to submit supporting information they have been told that if information is needed it will be requested.

I am not sure what the range of scores have been and whether a borderline score will considered, depending on how many applications they receive and whether there will be an issue of over/under subscription?
This does sound very strange to me. My husband is a headteacher of a Wirral Primary School and he had certainly been informed of the results before hand and submitted information for the IAB.

As for how to appeal I know that Wirral Admissions say not to put the Grammar school down, I had a work colleague who was told the same thing two years ago. This seems to be against all the information I've ever read about appeals but maybe they do it differently?
Good Luck, being so close to the pass mark should help .
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

It is odd that you are told not to put the school on the CAF

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; gives some info here.

I reckon if they want you to do anything else you need to discuss that with them and get the responses in writing!
Trickie

Post by Trickie »

my concern is, if i put the two grammar schools down, the three high schools i would need to pick from for our third choice are all usually full and none are our catchment school. The other two nearest high schools are awful and for different reasons I don't want to send DD there. There is therefore a very big risk that she would end up at one of those schools because the CWAC admissions team would obviously see her application as having one choice and therefore give her a place at the nearest school with space, ie, one of the awful schools! I just want to make sure that I'm not missing out on the chance to appeal for a Grammar place if I don't have them down on the CAF, if that makes sense?
Our school also only found out today of pupils scores.
pumbaa40

Post by pumbaa40 »

Hi my son missed out by 7 points. I put in for special circumstances but they havent been taken into account. The school have said they look into it after the results never heard of this before. Do i appeal? My son did pass the st aslams exam not sure if we would loose his place there if we appeal wirral.
any advise
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now