Speak to headteacher now

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Serious Sam

Speak to headteacher now

Post by Serious Sam »

I know the 11+ has just been sat, but now is the time to speak to the headteacher about an appeal if your child just misses out. My DS sat the exam last year and missed the magic 236 by 4 points, we had already spoke to the headteacher about an appeal, so by the time the the results were released in October the appeal was already completed and now my DS is happily now pupil at WGSB.
So my advice is to prepare for a appeal now, it saves a lot of stress on results day.
Sally-Anne

Re: Speak to headteacher now

Post by Sally-Anne »

Please don't take this advice!

Of those who took the test, a proportion will pass and a proportion will not be anywhere near the score required for an appeal.

No more than 10% of children, if that, will be in the "appeal zone".

The other 90% of parents will be wasting valuable Head teacher time.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I have to second Sally-Anne's advice.
Year 6 teachers know their children well and have liaised with year 5 teachers at the end of last year. Books are kept and the school is experienced at putting together evidence for a review, if they think that your child has not shown their capability in the test, then they will be ready to put forward a case. Remember schools get the results before the parents do.

Going to see the Headteacher now, before you even know the result will not be a benefit
AmandaH

Post by AmandaH »

Many thanks for your thoughts on this. Much appreciated. :) I can see things from both Serious Sam's and Sally-Anne's perspective. Grateful for advice on this: our son is at a school where the headteacher seems somewhat disengaged from the whole process and not intent on bringing any case forward to the LEA board before results day... My son missed out some questions on the test, so we are worried about this. He's in the top set and gets top marks in every subject, and has been among the top scorers in mock tests, so we feel it would not reflect his abilities if he did not pass (we're his parents after all :D). We've relayed our concerns about the questions he left out to the headteacher, but she says it's all down to the scores on the test now. What we wanted her to say was that, given the evidence of his past achievements, she would intervene if he, contrary to expectations, happened to fail. In this situation, what would you do? Talk to the headteacher again or not do anything until results are out? If the former, does anyone know when results are released to headteachers? And how would you talk to the headteacher in way that it doesn't sound as if you are telling her how to do her job (if you know what I mean! :)! Truly grateful for any advice. Many thanks. Amanda.
Mabel

Post by Mabel »

Hi,
My dd has just sat the Upton Hall Exam and 11 plus. She has had long term health problems and I too wondered about the best thing to do in terms of speaking to the headteacher. I can see why it's not necessary for everyone to bombard the school but equally I think it's wise to let the school know of any circumstances you think should be considered now rather than have to go through appeal afterwards. Our head too seems somewhat disengaged. She was well on the day of the test but on the Friday before I did contact the head in writing to say I believe her medical history should be taken into account. He said he would pass on that information to the LEA on the day of the test but I did feel he slightly missed the point as I was hoping for his support if she was borderline and the schools input was asked for. It's difficult to find the best way to approach, obviously it's now the week of the results and I wonder what did you do? I believe the school are told around 1-2 weeks before the results. I remember when my older daughter did the test 2 years ago seeing that date on a different primary schools website as they informed their parents. If it's not too late is there perhaps a more approachable deputy head or the class teacher?
We would prefer Upton Hall and they don't have a system at all for taking that into consideration and they don't contact the primary school at all. They give you extra time in the exam for certain medical conditions but my dd did not have this.
It's been a long few weeks waiting! Good luck
AmandaH

Post by AmandaH »

So sorry, Mabel, for not replying earlier. We actually ended up not doing anything at all... What did you do? Hope everything worked out the way you wanted it to. :) All best, Amanda.
Emma1982

Post by Emma1982 »

Hi sorry I know this is a year after last comments as my son has just sat 11+ test September 2018 for September 2019 entry. I was told head teacher gets results 1st October for if anyone fails they can appeal before we get results 21st October 2018 but up to now my sons head teacher hasn’t had any email I’m either thinkin this is cause he has passed and no reason to email for appeal or he failed well out . My son said he didn’t finish alll questions as ran out time but said what he did answer went well but all questions are 1point so hoping what he didn’t answer won’t effect him. I’m new to all this so grateful for any advice thanks
SofiaCerano

Post by SofiaCerano »

Emma1982 wrote:Hi sorry I know this is a year after last comments as my son has just sat 11+ test September 2018 for September 2019 entry. I was told head teacher gets results 1st October for if anyone fails they can appeal before we get results 21st October 2018 but up to now my sons head teacher hasn’t had any email I’m either thinkin this is cause he has passed and no reason to email for appeal or he failed well out . My son said he didn’t finish alll questions as ran out time but said what he did answer went well but all questions are 1point so hoping what he didn’t answer won’t effect him. I’m new to all this so grateful for any advice thanks
Good luck to your son, my DD did the 11 plus and Upton hall exam, the wait for the results is torturous.
SAK1983

Post by SAK1983 »

Hi Emma1982
I have never heard Head teachers get results before parents. Are you sure that this is the case.
Also wanted to ask you is the date 21st October for results announced somewhere officially ? :)
KLJ77

Post by KLJ77 »

Hi, in the Wirral Admission booklet it states that the headteachers receives results in advance before the IAB (independent assessment board) come together to discuss any borderline cases, then we get the results 'by' 21st October. What is not clear to me is whether the HT only receives borderline results so he/she can comment to IAB or whether they get all results?! Either way I keep staring at the HT hoping for a glimpse of info but to no avail LOL