Order of preference on form

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Parent1010

Order of preference on form

Post by Parent1010 »

Hi
Is anyone able to confirm whether the order in which I rank preferred schools on the form has a bearing on whether I will be offered a place at ‘second choice, schools?. Am I penalised if I put a school as second choice instead of first?

I’m struggling to decide whether to put a Liverpool school (Liverpool college) at which we have a theoretical chance of a place as first choice, with Wirral grammar second. Would this approach mean that I would be reducing my chances of obtaining a place at WG?

My understanding is that I wouldn’t be penalised as such - but we will be calling the LA to confirm.

Thanks In advance
hermanmunster

Re: Order of preference on form

Post by hermanmunster »

No you will not be penalised.

if you don't get Liverpool College then Wirral will effectively become your first choice.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Your local council probably have a section on the equal preference system. The schools do not know what order you have put them in. If you don't qualify for your first choice, your second becomes your first & so on. Therefore you MUST put them in your genuine order of preference.
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

From the wirral site:
We will co-ordinate with the other
admissions authorities by sending them
details of your application. The governors
will decide the order in which children
should be offered places in accordance
with their admissions criteria. They are not
allowed to know the order of preference
you have put their school and cannot use
this when applying their criteria.

Full details of the school admissions
policies are available online in a
supplementary booklet or can be obtained
from the individual schools and you are
advised to read them carefully before
completing this form.
If your child is eligible for a place in more
than one school we will offer a place at the
school which you listed as the highest
preference. If we cannot offer a place at
any of the schools you have named as a
preference, we will give your child a place
at the nearest appropriate school with a
place available.
Parent1010

Post by Parent1010 »

Thanks very much for the helpful replies. The College is a bit / lot of a punt but it would mean a lot less disruption if we were lucky enough to get a place.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Essentially, the system is 'blind' and the algorithm is programmed with the assumption that parents have read and understood the guidance provided and acted accordingly. So if someone puts Catchment School A first, not because that's the school they most want their DC to go to (which is how their LEA guidance will tell them to do it), but because some scaremongering ignoramus at the school gate has told them that if they put Selective School B (that they really do wamt) first and don't get in, they won't get their catchment school either, 'because it will fill up with people putting it first', if they can be offered a place at School A, that is what they will get. The system doesn't go, Oh look, they put School A first, but qualified for School B and no-one wouldn't really want School B, so I'll allocate them School B. Seriously :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now