Highest score?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

NotOverYet

Post by NotOverYet »

wirralnumbers wrote:And I have heard of girls trying for Wirral passing and getting West Kirby.
Yes, my DD is one of the above. This really has been a roller-coaster of a few months and it seems we have a way to go yet.

We are naturally all thrilled with her achievement but she feels somewhat in no-man's-land as she did all the hard work with Wirral Girls as her goal.

When her friend's results came through getting WGG it appeared that when our letter was opened it should just be a matter of passing. Her friend lives only just around the corner so after initial fears that distance would be a problem it had seemed that this may not be the case. We were wrong :(

We are so relieved that we had West Kirby as a second choice and it too is a lovely school but it is hard for my daughter not to be disappointed.
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hi Not Over Yet
Sorry for you disappointment at not getting wirral grammar.I just thought i'd tell you first hand what a great school West kirby is,my DD is in year 9 and she LOVES it!!
She only had 2 other girls from her school when she went,neither being her close friends ,she now has a lovely close group of friends and is extremely happy.
If I can give you any further information or help please ask!

Pensby
NotOverYet

Post by NotOverYet »

Thank you Pensby this is so good to hear. I am sure my DD will be very happy wherever she goes - she rarely has problems making friends and relishes the opportunities that her new school will bring it's only that she had set her heart on WGG. She also seems to have an aptitude for languages and so loved the variety on offer there.

We intend to show a continued interest in WGG in case some places become available and for good measure have been advised to go down the appeal route, however I know that should we not be sucessful she will be very happy indeed at either school :D
kittycd

Post by kittycd »

Pensby - I'd be really grateful for some hand holding re West Kirby. It's so nice to finally see a mention of it on these pages. Everyone else seems to be going to WGG or sadly not going to WGG. But little talk of WK. My daughter picked WK although for a long time we were going to put WGG as first choice. I still worry we/she made wrong choice. She is over the moon baout going to WK but I have niggles about --- discipline, appearance ie uniform!, quality of lessons. I know I'm mad but what do you think on these points - is the teaching inspired and enjoyable? And despite the girls not being quite as neatly turned out as the WG girls are they all basically good girls? All I ever hear is good things about WK and how girls absolutley love being there so I know I should just be happy that we have such a wonderful school to go to.
Pensby

West kirby

Post by Pensby »

KittyCd
Please do not worry!WK is a lovely school,uniform is strict-no jewellery or makeup etc.The discipline is also great,never had any major issues ,DD had one small incidence of bullying which was cleared up in day with no problems at all.

She loves school and never says the lessons are boring which considering she is now 13, I think is a major achievement!I think the girls are all very well turned out and like the uniform!They are well behaved as far as Iknow and DD friends are all polite,happy and hardworking girls!

Please ask if you have any further q's,on here or Pm me !

Uniform is cheapest from birkenhead uniform stall.
Don't bother to buy long sleeve blouses unless your DD gets very cold in winter,they all wear short sleeve all year round!

Good luck to you daughter she'll be fine

Pensby :lol:
kittycd

Post by kittycd »

Thanks Pensby for the reassurance. Sure I'll have more questions!
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

Wirralnumbers wrote:
And I have heard of girls trying for Wirral passing and getting West Kirby.
In previous posts the advise for Wirral has been only to place one grammar on the application form.

Does this mean that they have put second choice as West Kirby or they have been given a school not on the allocation form??
Wallasey

Post by Wallasey »

They will have put West Kirby second. I don't think there is a procedure for offering another grammar school automatically if the one they picked is oversubscribed. With the new(er) system of making the second choice school a first choice one there will have been more people putting down two grammar schools than in previous years. Of course then you run a greater risk of not getting any preferred schools if the 11+ isn't passed, and I think this has happened to some. We had to consider whether it was more of a risk that our DD wouldn't pass or that the school was oversubscribed, and as a result choose either a second grammar school or a good all ability option for that second place.
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

Hi Wallasey,

Yes, that's what I thought. We were lucky then in getting WGB, because I thought you only had to pass to be guaranteed a place I didn't put a second grammar.

It would seem it changes every year!
Wallasey

Post by Wallasey »

I think it did change, either this year or last. I failed to understand the situation and didn't put a second grammar, and have beaten myself up over it ever since! I was convinced that with the potential oversubscription I had made a mistake. We were very lucky to be (just) inside the catchment for WGG.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now