how do the allocations work

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

WirralS

how do the allocations work

Post by WirralS »

I was just wondering how they allocate to the grammar schools. Do they take all that pass and put them in a pot and give places to the cared for, nearest etc, or do they allocate places to the ones with the top marks 1st. My friends child passed 11+ but has been allocated a local high school, she lives near but only just passed.
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

That sounds very strange..

I know a someone who just passed (236) and was offered a place, she lives quite far out from the school.

This was taken from the Wirral education website:

Admission criteria for
community grammar schools

If a girls’ community grammar school is oversubscribed with
pupils who have achieved the necessary standard for grammar
school, we allocate places according to the following criteria
(which are given in priority order).

a Girls who are looked after by a local authority.

b Girls who have a valid medical reason for a specific
placement. You must give details on the preference form
and these may be checked by a medical officer of the
health authority. You need to make it clear why only this
school is appropriate for your child’s medical needs.

c Girls who have a sister (including a half-sister or stepsister
living in the same household) at the school when places
are offered.

d We will then take account of where your daughter lives.
Priority will be given to those girls who live nearest to the
school. At this stage we will also take account of any
reasons you put forward. If these reasons are strong
enough, your child will be given a place above children
who live nearer the school.
We use a computer mapping system, based on Ordnance
Survey maps, to measure the distance from the home to the
school gate nearest to the child’s home using the shortest road
route, unless it is possible to use a footpath which we consider to be a safe walking route.

AM
hermanmunster

Re: how do the allocations work

Post by hermanmunster »

WirralS wrote:I was just wondering how they allocate to the grammar schools. Do they take all that pass and put them in a pot and give places to the cared for, nearest etc, or do they allocate places to the ones with the top marks 1st. My friends child passed 11+ but has been allocated a local high school, she lives near but only just passed.

Did they put the grammar school first on the CAF?? Maybe they put the local high school first and have made the same mistake that a few have made whereby they could have had a place at the grammar school but were also eligible for a place at the school they placed first on the form.
wirralnumbers

Post by wirralnumbers »

As far as the non-Catholic grammar schools are concerned then it does not matter whether you scrape past the 11+ or get full marks. It essentially works through siblings and then distance. (Upton is different)

But if you don't put a grammar school as your 1st preference it is likely you will get your 1st choice non-grammar school (after all you have said that it is your 1ST PREFERENCE after all) whether you pass the 11+ or not.

If you put a grammar school 1st and it is full then you may get a place at another grammar school if you have placed it 2nd. In other words 1st Wirral 2nd West Kirby-You pass Wirral is full you may get West Kirby...but if you ONLY put a grammar school 1st you pass and it is full then you won't get a grammar school allocation eg 1st Wirral 2nd Prenton-You pass Wirral is full so you get Prenton.

It is all in the booklet that Wirral Council send out. Have fun reading it!
WirralS

Post by WirralS »

Thanks, I'll have a read of the booklet, they may have put the other school as 1st choice, I know south wirral told me if I didnt put them as 1st choice I would get my son in there, so maybe they did that.
Wallasey

Post by Wallasey »

Wirral S - we were told that the schools don't know whether they were put first or not, so that if they were your second choice and you weren't eligible for the first choice that second choice became your first choice and then it would be based on the usual criteria of looked after, siblings and distance. If the school told you they had to be put first, that is only if your child wasn't taking the 11+.
frantic

How do the allocations work

Post by frantic »

One thing I wondered is do the High schools have to take a similar number of girls & boys? I know of a few girls who haven't got in at a school & live closer than boys who have got in!
Frantic
wirralnumbers

Post by wirralnumbers »

To my knowledge high schools don't deliberately aim for a particular mix of boys and girls. I know for example that Rock Ferry has many more boys than girls. You're not thinking of Pensby?-because that it is 2 separate schools