Worrying - any advice thankfully received

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Beeptoot

Re: Worrying - any advice thankfully received

Post by Beeptoot »

Hello EJT .....I saw West Kirby was undersubscribed last year , as opposed to Wirral Girls and Upton , which were oversubscribed ......has undersubcription happened for the last 2 years at West Kirby ?

Post by 378369 »

My DD passed the 11+ last year and had her heart set on Wirral Girls and we’re hopeful as the Head has said it was a low birth rate. We were devastated when she was t offered a place due to over subscription and give Queen’s Park High. We hadn’t considered West Kirby because of distance but their admissions officer was amazing and so helpful. My DD is now at West Kirby and absolutely loves it there. The bus journey from Chester is a real social event and she’s very happy with her lessons, teachers and sports activities. West Kirby should have been our first choice in hindsight.
EJT2707

Post by EJT2707 »

Hi Beeptoot,

I’ve been told that the year before last that all girls who applied and reached the standard were offered a place, distance was not a factor for either year. So am very hopeful of west Kirby, so keeping fingers crossed

Emma
SofiaCerano

Post by SofiaCerano »

Here’s a link to last years admission policies. WKG was the only girl’s grammar which was undersubscribed https://www.wirral.gov.uk/sites/default ... 0-2021.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Heidimaghellian

Post by Heidimaghellian »

My daughter started this year at Wirral Girls and we were told that due to low birth rate as long as they passed then they would be offered a place however it ended up being over subscribed by about 32/35 I think and her friend who lives in Puddington didn't get a place and even though she has brothers at Wirral Boys it is not classed as the same school so her mum didn't appeal. She got offered a place at Upton though. How I made my decision was based on score and distance. It was a tough exam with lots of girls coming out in crying and she only achieved a score of 238 which really worried me but given the white faces I wondered if the score had been low across the board. She scored higher for Upton with I think 244, but again this wasn't as high as we'd hoped for (her friend scored higher - 255) so I had a dilemma. As Wirral's criteria is distance over score and Upton's is score over distance (and religion), I decided it was wiser to put WG first choice as we are nearer (approx 5.5 miles) WG than Upton. But what I also did was to put her on the wait list for Upton as a backup! And it ended up she got offered her first choice at WG and we got a letter in May saying she was 3rd on wait list for Upton and a call in July that she had been offered a place, so we ended up in the best possible position! They're all great schools but they are obviously now much more popular. The year before, I know WG were undersubscribed because they were advertising for any girls who had passed the 11plus to get in touch if they wanted a place. And the Head of Upton said approx 550 girls took their exam - highest number ever!! It's such an unknown and very stressful. I just feel so bad for the girls who passed and didn't get a place anywhere. And even if yr daughter doesn't get a place you could always move nearer and apply again - or in Year 8 as people leave/move etc.

I had heard WK was overscubscribed, too, but reading these posts it must not have been.
EJT2707

Post by EJT2707 »

Well less than 3 weeks to go until we find out the allocations! And to top it off I’m nearly 12 weeks pregnant with surprise baby number 3 :D

Definitely didn’t think I’d be doing this again at 38! But here goes! And my due date is the 28th August so I hope it doesn’t come late with school starting! positive is I’ll be on maternity so around more when she is settling in her new school! Still a very nervous time in stressing that she gets offered a grammar place. Keeping everything crossed!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Congratulations :) :D what a lovely surprise! And yes hopefully won't arrive on the first morning at DC's new school - definitely KFC!
Brummie Dad

Post by Brummie Dad »

EJT2707 wrote:Well less than 3 weeks to go until we find out the allocations! And to top it off I’m nearly 12 weeks pregnant with surprise baby number 3 :D

Definitely didn’t think I’d be doing this again at 38! But here goes! And my due date is the 28th August so I hope it doesn’t come late with school starting! positive is I’ll be on maternity so around more when she is settling in her new school! Still a very nervous time in stressing that she gets offered a grammar place. Keeping everything crossed!
Hi, my Daughter passed her 11+ last year and had hoped to go to WG. As we live in Ellesmere Port we missed out by 0.6 miles as part of the oversubscribtion criteria. Fortunately she got into WKGS and absolutely loves it there and is thriving. As others have stated the pass rate changes each year and it's hard to predict. What I would say is that we are extremely lucky to have a few grammar schools in the surrounding area so keep your options open because there all brilliant schools and you should get one. The transport to them is brilliant which was my concern because it's a distance from our house to WKGS, but my daughter is home by 4.30 each night.

Good luck and hope everything is works out.
EJT2707

Post by EJT2707 »

Thank you both .. I am hopeful, I keep telling myself that it’s likely she will be accepted to one or the other, but then the “what ifs” keep rearing their ugly head! I know it seems silly to be so obsessed by it but I’m blaming the hormones as my excuse haha
She is crossing out days on a calendar now until allocation day and that is making me worry all the more, I keep trying to be positive about the local comp just in case but she isn’t having any of it as as my older child (16 next week) is there and hates it that doesn’t help.
I have told her we will go on waiting lists and appeal if she doesn’t get a place on 2nd of March but it is the thought of the disappointment on her face that kills me.

My husband keeps telling me not to worry about something I have no control over and I know he’s right but these raging pregnancy hormones can’t see that!!!

I’ll be sure to post on results day and I really hope everyone gets the outcome they want for their children

Good luck all xx Emma
EJT2707

Post by EJT2707 »

Thank you both .. I am hopeful, I keep telling myself that it’s likely she will be accepted to one or the other, but then the “what ifs” keep rearing their ugly head! I know it seems silly to be so obsessed by it but I’m blaming the hormones as my excuse haha
She is crossing out days on a calendar now until allocation day and that is making me worry all the more, I keep trying to be positive about the local comp just in case but she isn’t having any of it as as my older child (16 next week) is there and hates it that doesn’t help.
I have told her we will go on waiting lists and appeal if she doesn’t get a place on 2nd of March but it is the thought of the disappointment on her face that kills me.

My husband keeps telling me not to worry about something I have no control over and I know he’s right but these raging pregnancy hormones can’t see that!!!

I’ll be sure to post on results day and I really hope everyone gets the outcome they want for their children

Good luck all xx Emma
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now