Raw Scores Wirral

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Atlastitsover

Raw Scores Wirral

Post by Atlastitsover »

Hi

I'm wondering if somebody could help please, my son sat the 11+ CEM, Wirral test. He failed with a score of 225. Pass mark is 236. My wife and I were shocked as he is doing really well in school, top table for maths and English, NVR score of 128 in year 2. He has had a tutor for a year before and was near the top of her group also. His school is a feeder school for the grammar school, so lots of children that took the exam passed it. The head commented to us they were shocked also over our son faling. So, we felt like we had to try and find out were he went wrong. We have asked CEM for his scores, which they have provided. he got:-

English VR - 38
NVR - 27
Maths - 16

SD 225

What we need help with is what do these scores mean? does it mean he has done really well in VR and NVR? but his maths has let him down? What they don't say is what weighting these marks carry if any, so its a bit of guess at the moment?

The maths is a shock as he is really good at maths and last week received an award from the school and a badge stating 'resident mathematician'. This was because he came top in his year on their last maths test. This is why we are shocked because approx. 10 other boys in his class all passed and he didn't!

We realise, the test is juts a snapshot on that day and kids can mess up, but seems so far out!

Anyway, we will appeal, although maybe futile, but the more ammunition we can use at the appeal, the better.

Thanks
doodles

Re: Raw Scores Wirral

Post by doodles »

Could one of the mods please move this to the Wirral region. Thank you.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
mad?

Post by mad? »

Thanks doodles
mad?
KLJ77

Post by KLJ77 »

Hi my niece is in a very similar situation I think she got 226 which was a huge shock to everyone, we think she just panicked on the day, she is devastated as my daughter (her cousin) is in YR7 and they really wanted to be together as they are very close. I know she will thrive at Wirral.

How did you get the scores from CEM? it would be helpful if they could give you an indication of what each score is out of and the the standardised adjustment! My niece is October birthday so I guess she wouldn't have got much extra for her age.

Thanks