Upton (and Wirral) scoring

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Nervouswait

Upton (and Wirral) scoring

Post by Nervouswait »

Our DD took the Upton test last week and found it not too bad (we are probably more nervous than her about the result :lol: ). We only live a couple of miles from the school and she has her heart set on going there, so we are on tenter hooks until the results come out in two weeks.

I've been trying to understand how the standardised scoring works, which I think I have now got, however it doesn't quite make sense.

My understanding is that the mean score translates to a score of 100 and then the score increases with every score above 100, relative to a Standard Deviation of 15. However, according to this method only 16% of pupils would score above 115.
The pass mark for each paper is 118 - so therefore less than 16% of people would pass.

The head mentioned that 560 girls were taking the test, which would result in only 90 girls passing (if it is 16%). So I dont understand how they fill the 150+ places?

The only thing I can think of is that the 100 mean score is from a national average sample of kids and not just from those taking the test. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Our DD didnt take the Wirral 11+ as she has her heart set on Upton, but Im guessing the same would apply.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now