Wirral - appeal due to narrowly missing pass mark

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JodyBeech

Re: Wirral - appeal due to narrowly missing pass mark

Post by JodyBeech »

It's all so confusing and definitely not helped by the fact the admissions team at Wirral Council were refusing calls on Friday. Will try again tomorrow see if I can get any answers of at least if I need to put it as a choice or not
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

JodyBeech wrote:It's all so confusing and definitely not helped by the fact the admissions team at Wirral Council were refusing calls on Friday. Will try again tomorrow see if I can get any answers of at least if I need to put it as a choice or not
absolutely!

can I suggest that you try if at all possible to get anything in writing / e-mail so that there is some sort of trail. It may well be how Wirral do it just not how everyone else does.
Good Luck and keep us posted
JodyBeech

Post by JodyBeech »

Really not getting anywhere. Phoned Wirral this morning to be told again they are not taking phone calls and are only dealing in emails with no time frame for replies - we emailed them on Thursday and Friday last week and have had no reply yet.
Spoken to Cheshire admissions as we will.in Cheshire and that's where our 2nd and 3rd choice schools would be and they are unsure if we put the Grammar down or not - feel like I'm going around in circles
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

JodyBeech wrote:Really not getting anywhere. Phoned Wirral this morning to be told again they are not taking phone calls and are only dealing in emails with no time frame for replies - we emailed them on Thursday and Friday last week and have had no reply yet.
Spoken to Cheshire admissions as we will.in Cheshire and that's where our 2nd and 3rd choice schools would be and they are unsure if we put the Grammar down or not - feel like I'm going around in circles

If you name the grammar (as first preference), have you got enough preferences left on your CAF to be as sure as you can be that your DC gets an acceptable school place on March 1st?

If so, put it down. If not, then it might be better not to, given the generally low chance of success at appeal for grammar schools, and trust that Wirral really do allow appeals for a school not applied for in the first place.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
JodyBeech

Post by JodyBeech »

Hi, just an update incase it helps anyone else. Finally spoken to someone in admissions dept. They confirm that you do not put the grammar school down as a choice on the school choice form if failed and want to appeal. Once school choices are allocated on 1st March you then get an appeal form off the website and constant the appeal process for any school.
They also confirmed that head teachers are no longer informed of results prior to parents and there is no longer a IAB panel in Wirral
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

JodyBeech wrote:Hi, just an update incase it helps anyone else. Finally spoken to someone in admissions dept. They confirm that you do not put the grammar school down as a choice on the school choice form if failed and want to appeal. Once school choices are allocated on 1st March you then get an appeal form off the website and constant the appeal process for any school.
They also confirmed that head teachers are no longer informed of results prior to parents and there is no longer a IAB panel in Wirral
thanks for posting info Jody - sounds like you were asking the right questions and finally got someone who knew what they were talking about
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Well done for sorting it out.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now