Wirral - appeal due to narrowly missing pass mark

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JodyBeech

Wirral - appeal due to narrowly missing pass mark

Post by JodyBeech »

Hi All

My son narrowly missed the pass mark this week with a score of 231. Has anyone got any experience of trying to appeal to get a place? His brother already goes to Wirral grammar.
. Is it near impossible to appeal and get a place with this score? Any tips or help appreciated
hermanmunster

Re: Wirral - appeal due to narrowly missing pass mark

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The thing about appeals is that you can only appeal when you have been rejected by the school in March - so you need to put the school on the CAF and read the info here https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

PS thread re appeal here https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... hp?t=57953" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JodyBeech

Post by JodyBeech »

I thought I cannot put it down as a choice as didn't reach the required score? It says on the results email to not put it down as a choice? It's all so confusing
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Usually you should put it on the CAF if you want to appeal. You can appeal once you’ve been refused a place. I believe if there was no further clarification in the email it is disgraceful. You could miss out out on the first round of appeals if you follow that advice.

If you are in any doubt contact your LA for further advice.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... e_2021.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... de#history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JodyBeech

Post by JodyBeech »

This is what was on the email.... I will try and get clarification this week before it closes on 31st but when we called on Friday we were told the admissions team were not taking calls at the moment which is not helpful

Frequently Asked Questions:

My child has not reached the grammar standard, can I still apply for a place?

If your child has not reached the standard for grammar school, do not put a grammar school as one of your preferences. A place cannot be allocated and the preference will be withdrawn

Can I appeal for a grammar place?

After 1st March when places have been allocated, you then have a right to appeal for a place for your child at any secondary school (including grammar schools) in writing, setting out the grounds of your appeal. Appeals are considered by an Independent Appeals Panel established under the Schools Standards and Framework Act 1998. You do not have to put a grammar school as one of your preferences in order to appeal.

Information on how to appeal will be sent with your child’s allocation on 1st March 2022.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

You definitely need to clarify - this is definitely not national policy :roll: I have asked the other mods to have a look at the e-mail to see if they have any further thoughts
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

In another area, I have known appeals to be put through where there hasn't actually been an original application made in the first place; it causes a lot of confusion for the person trying to collate the paperwork.

It is almost as if Wirral are counting the taking of the exam as an application, at least for those who haven't passed?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

It does look like that - I wonder if in fact they get very few appeal requests for the GS and feel there is no need for it to go on the CAF?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

hermanmunster wrote:It does look like that - I wonder if in fact they get very few appeal requests for the GS and feel there is no need for it to go on the CAF?
So no need for a separate (rather dubious) way of doing it, then, really. They could just say, 'not eligible for a place, an application will be rejected for this reason, but you will have the right to appeal this decision'?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now