Appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lollypolly8

Appeal

Post by lollypolly8 »

We have gone through the 11+ process with my son. We currently live out of the area but are planning to move before September.

I have just heard from his current school that they know the result of my son's 11+, and he missed the pass rate by 3 points so it has gone to appeal (automatically it appears?). Apparently they have been asked to submit his test results since infants and have had to provide a profile of him. The teacher in question has done all this and, as we were aware, all his results have been consistently good and he is considered to be a pleasure to teach.

Has anyone any experience with this appeal process? Presumably it just goes ahead without any ipnput from us? Is there anything that we can do to help - and when will WE be told the results!!

I am SO new to all this - any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

This looks like a local Review, rather than a proper appeal.

See B18:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... #section-B
Etienne
kelannhugh

Post by kelannhugh »

Hi

Which school does you child currently attend? Have you managed to move yet?

Did you just only put Caldy on your preference form? Wirral boys is also a very good school.

I think you get a chance to appeal in March if your primary school is unseccessful.

Good Luck

Kelannhugh xx
Grumpy!

Post by Grumpy! »

In Wirral the head's are asked to submit details for any children who they feel should have passed, for independent review. At this stage they will also include any mitigating circumstances (which you are supposed to let the school know of beforehand....!). If the review is successful, and there are places, you should get a place.

If the review is not successful, then you can appeal in March, but not on academic grounds ie it doesn't matter if you can prove if the child is clever enough and the 11+ was just a blip. You have to proove there was something wrong with the procedure.

It is arguable that this system is not transparent and fair - and last year the ombudsman requested that some appeals were re-done because of this. I hope the system works better this year.

I suggest you ask the school for a copy of what they submitted.

Good luck!
kelannhugh

Post by kelannhugh »

Hi Grumpy

Do you know anyone who has had to go through this procedure?

Do all school's let you know if they are going to appeal?

Kelannhugh
Grumpy!

Post by Grumpy! »

Hi Kelannhugh

I'm afraid I did last year to no avail, :( , but that doesn't mean you won't succeed.

The school was not allowed to tell me about the review, and, although the school was well aware of the extra stress my ds was under at the time of the first 11 plus test, they didn't mention it on the paperwork they sent in. :?

To cut a long story short, we appealed, were turned down as the review meant we weren't entitled to a review of academic evidence, but that we had shown he was of grammar standard. :twisted: so we went to ombudsman who asked school to re do appeals as they had not applied the new code fairly, but then we were turned down as we hadn't shown that he was of grammar school standard?!

(and you wonder why my user name is grumpy!!!)

You need to contact the lea to find out their stance this year on the review process - they haven't changed it from last year as far as I can see. You can then prepare your appeal in march if the review is unsuccessful.

Hopefully you will be fine, if not, I am happy to help you if I can, and there is much excellent advice on this forum from those with much more experience than me.

Fingers crossed for you.
kelannhugh

Post by kelannhugh »

Hi again Grumpy

Did you get your second choice?

My daughter says she doesnt mind which school from our top three, I only decided to enter her into the test last minute as I had just moved. Everyone else seems to have had tutors and lots of help, all my girl had was me and i felt like i've pushed her too much.

Just the waitin now rather I know so I can prepare her

thanks for all your info hows your son finding his new school?

Kelannhugh x
Grumpy!

Post by Grumpy! »

Yes, we got our second choice fine - we're very lucky really, live in Cheshire, so have a good local comprehensive. He's with most of his friends and is doing really well.

Makes life much easier if you know that the school's lower down the list are ok, some people on the forum get faced with terrible allocations.

It seems a long time to wait now doesn't it? Don't forget to let us know how you get on.
marie

Post by marie »

hi Kelannhugh

I live on the wirral and went through this with my daughter now in yr 8 at a Grammar. The appeal your head is talking about is called Independent Appeal or Assessment Board - it's basically a group of secondsry and Primary heads who meet to look at recommendations from primary heads of children whom their heads think should have met the required standard - on Wirral your primary head is not allowed to tell you they have done this until after March 2nd allocation day.

the IAB will look at evidence supplied by your child's head as to their acedemic ability and any extenuating circumstances which may have affected their result.

Our head did this but we were still not allocated a place at Grammar - we then appealed - the information and forms about appealing should come with your allocation letter. As far as i'm aware and certainly was the case for us the purpose of our appeal was to prove to panel that daughter was of Grammar Standard (projected level 5's level 3's at KS2 and NFER of 130 apparently grammar standard over 119) but that extenuating circumstances prevented her from performing to her ability on the days of the test ( in our case grandad ill in lead up then died few weeks before - new baby in family other son devested by grandads death refusing to go to school eat etc)

In true Wirral lea fashion we were refused our first appeal to 1st choice grammar but were succesful with appeal to 2nd choice grammar - same scores same circumstances but suppose that's independent panels for you.

please feel free to pm if you want more advice
Grumpy!

Post by Grumpy! »

Hi Marie

The system changed last year, so it does affect the appeal process; if there has been a review, then you cannot appeal against the decision on academic grounds, only if there has been a procedural error.