What is the best VR revision guide on the market?

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Robinson

What is the best VR revision guide on the market?

Post by Robinson »

My husband and I are considering putting our daughter forward for the 11+ in 2018.

I'd like to buy some revision material to start familiarising her with the style of the tests - especially the verbal reasoning which seems so alien! I'm also hoping that getting some practice in early will give us an indication of whether we need to employ a tutor or not.

I've done my homework and looked at all the different resources out there, but it's a bit overwhelming. What I really want to know is what makes a good VR revision guide (what should I be looking for?) and any recommended titles. I don't want to waste our money...

If you have any recommendations of products that you have used successfully with your children (or unsuccessfully!), I'd be really interested.

Thanks! :)
scary mum

Re: What is the best VR revision guide on the market?

Post by scary mum »

Which school is your daughter aiming for? The advice will vary depending on which exam she is sitting.
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

It will also depend on whether you are looking at GL VR or CEM VR, as they are quite different. As scary says it will help if we know what school you are aiming for.
Robinson

Post by Robinson »

She will be applying in the Trafford area and it's the CEM exam she will be sitting.

Is CEM the most common type? It it easier or tougher than GL? If so, why? And why don't all schools do the same exam? (Apologies for all the questions!)

Thank you for responding scary mum and Tinkers!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

CEM is not the same as VR.

Mods can you move this to the CEM section?

My advice would be to just start with some CGP or FPTP ten minute tests, you will soon found out what her levels are and what areas will need some work.

Your CEM will consist of Maths, NVR and English VR. These are the areas you need to test her on and find out where you need to focus. DG
Godfather

Post by Godfather »

We found a mixture of cgp 10 min and 11+ forum as the best .... I think I still have a course book list from out tuition centre which I can pm u
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

There are details here too https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... rd-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
poppety

Post by poppety »

Hi there
My daughter will probably take the 11+ in 2018 for Trafford too. We have spent the last few months practising with the Bond 10 minute CEM tests which has been working quite well. We have also been doing crosswords, puzzles etc to try and build on vocab etc. And lots and lots of reading (which she loves). She recently had an assessment with a tutor with a plan to start tuition in September. It's all a bit of a minefield isn't it!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now