Writing on the question paper

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JRM

Writing on the question paper

Post by JRM »

I have just marked my DS's first practice test. When going through it, it would have been so much easier for him to be able to make little workings on the question sheet. Why is this not allowed? It is multiple choice so it wouldn't mess up the marking, and I woudl happily pay for a shredder and printing of new papers for any later sittings!

Just curious I suppose. Any ideas?
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
ToadMum

Re: Writing on the question paper

Post by ToadMum »

JRM wrote:I have just marked my DS's first practice test. When going through it, it would have been so much easier for him to be able to make little workings on the question sheet. Why is this not allowed? It is multiple choice so it wouldn't mess up the marking, and I woudl happily pay for a shredder and printing of new papers for any later sittings!

Just curious I suppose. Any ideas?
What area are you in and does the provider of the real exam stipulate that no marks are to be made on the question paper? Most exams with a separate answer sheet / booklet allow working out on the question paper - it's the answer sheet which must have nothing but the answers marked on it.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
JRM

Post by JRM »

We are in Lincolnshire. It's GL. I'm basing it on what the children were told when they went in to do a practice paper in the school. Now part of me thinks that is because they reuse the practice papers, but they are all adamant that they were told that it is the same for the real thing. The wording on the practice papers you can buy just says 'You may do any rough working on a separate sheet of paper'.

I might have to ask school when they are back in.
Dr Seuss
HamptonDad

Post by HamptonDad »

JRM wrote:rea are you in and does the provider of the real exam stipulate tha
My DS is also sitting the Lincolnshire exams next month and I have given him the impression that on the day he can do any rough work on question paper. He is due to take the practice test in the next 3 weeks or so so I guess we will find out then. TBH is the verbal reasoning that he needs space for extra scribbling.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

May be worth posting this in the Lincolnshire section for those who have had a DC sit it previously? You can certainly write on the paper for Birmingham because it is a separate answer sheet.
JRM

Post by JRM »

It's my third child through - I should know! (Although the first went through before we changed to multiple choice so he doesn't count).

Hampton Dad - don't worry, they definitely get extra paper. I just want him to be able to mark the question paper as well. In terms of exam technique it stops him making silly mistakes when transferring the answer to the answer sheet too.
Dr Seuss
JRM

Post by JRM »

Got a reply at last minute. They WILL be allowed to write on the question paper. Phew.
Dr Seuss
JazyJazy

Post by JazyJazy »

JRM wrote:It's my third child through - I should know! (Although the first went through before we changed to multiple choice so he doesn't count).

Hampton Dad - don't worry, they definitely get extra paper. I just want him to be able to mark the question paper as well. In terms of exam technique it stops him making silly mistakes when transferring the answer to the answer sheet too.

Same question lingering in my mind too. Because in *** , Slough they also not letting children to mark on a question paper, even a single underline, I also bit confused if they allow to mark on a real CEM Slough paper and Bucks HL paper? Please reply.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

JazyJazy wrote:
JRM wrote:It's my third child through - I should know! (Although the first went through before we changed to multiple choice so he doesn't count).

Same question lingering in my mind too. Because in *** , Slough they also not letting children to mark on a question paper, even a single underline, I also bit confused if they allow to mark on a real CEM Slough paper and Bucks HL paper? Please reply.
Re the actual exams, look at the relevant local authority's website and theor familiarisation paper.

If that's the name of a tuition company that's ***'d out, it will presumably be because they reuse the papers?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx