Go to navigation
It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 12:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:30 pm 

The feedback I get each year from the QE boys GL paper is that the papers in the exam are a lot harder than the GL papers that you can buy.

I am expecting the same feedback from Latymer this year.

I would suggest you broaden your scope and use a wider range of MC VR and Maths MC papers.

These exams are sat by thousands so the papers need to be able to identify the strongest candidates. DG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:49 pm 

Yes I suspected that and Dc is whizzing through them. I"m sure suggestions are on here but to save searching could you recommend some more challenging ones? Many thanks!
Latymer is a big unknown this year!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:15 pm 

I don't feel Latymer will be a big unknown. The numbers will be in the thousands so they will have to make sure the papers are challenging. Habs boys had an easier maths paper this year and ended up having to interview more boys because the paper did not do its job in identifying the stronger candidates.

I expect the papers to be hard.

It is not easy to find hard Maths MC papers. If you do a search on my user name and Maths you will see I was asking the same question just before the QE boys exam last year and did not really get any replies.

Your best bet is to use standard format St Pauls girls and Manchester Grammar maths papers and Habs Maths all on their websites.

On VR Walsh, the Tutors, Bright Sparks, FPTP and shave some time off. DG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:53 pm 

I don't know where to start with GL DIY prep for Latymer.
We have been advised to use include lots of different question types and publishers

I have looked at those reccomended on this thread and elsewhere on the forum..... there is a massive list!
We can't possibly need to do them all - can we?!

1. Any advice on the order to tackle these for GL Format? and/or
2. Which ones can be dropped from this list for being very similar?

Susan Daughtrey Verbal Reasoning Technique & Practice Books 1-4 to learn the types.
AFN Publishing VR Books
IPS Practice VR Papers Books 1 & 2
Leaning Lab Books 1 & 2
Susan Daughtrey Verbal Reasoning (packs of 4 tests)
Walsh Verbal Reasoning 3 books
GL Assessment Official Practice Papers – Packs 1 & 2
MW Publishing A Plus Verbal Reasoning Books 1 & 2
Schofield & Sims VR Books (or rapid tests?)
First Past the Post Essentials VR Practice Papers

Any other options which would be better?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:03 pm 

Hi Patricia,

thank you for sharing this information. Is information in this topic still relevant, can we still rely on the books advised/discussed?

Also how to find out how many question types will be used in SW Herts Consortium, 21 vs 35?

Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:45 am 

dreams wrote:
Hi Patricia,
Is information in this topic still relevant, can we still rely on the books advised/discussed?

Relevant for the 21 types, however the regime is outdated. This was used in areas only using VR with no other disciplines.

dreams wrote:
Also how to find out how many question types will be used in SW Herts Consortium, 21 vs 35?
Thank you

How long is a piece of string comes to mind. GL have made it clear to Bucks ( would probably apply to most areas using GL) that there could be a variation to the 21 types, they have stated:

Quote:
Is the verbal reasoning section of the test a move back to the 21 types of verbal reasoning used in the previous GL Assessment test?

No, the question types available constantly evolve

Patrica

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:01 am 

patricia wrote:
dreams wrote:
Hi Patricia,
Is information in this topic still relevant, can we still rely on the books advised/discussed?

Relevant for the 21 types, however the regime is outdated. This was used in areas only using VR with no other disciplines.

dreams wrote:
Thank you

How long is a piece of string comes to mind. GL have made it clear to Bucks ( would probably apply to most areas using GL) that there could be a variation to the 21 types, they have stated:

Quote:
Is the verbal reasoning section of the test a move back to the 21 types of verbal reasoning used in the previous GL Assessment test?

No, the question types available constantly evolve

Patrica

Thank you very much for your reply, Patrica

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:47 pm 

Need some help please , what shall i do for 3-4 months ‘ time to prepare my DD for the 11 plus ? Anyone recommends a summer intense course?

Thx in advance !