VR help please! DAO and Bond

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
daft vading

VR help please! DAO and Bond

Post by daft vading »

Hi everyone, hoping someone can help. DD is going into Yr5 and planning to sit DAO next year. We’ve recently changed tutor due to a house move; the new tutor is using Bond for VR (9-10 book, one paper a week). DD will make a couple of mistakes on average per paper, but they feel easy. Is Bond sufficient for DAO prep?

I’m not sure who the publisher was but old tutor gave 100 question papers which stretched DD (he started with the Daughterey technique books). If we DIY now, which publisher/route would you recommend to take us through to the exam?

Also plan to sit ISEB/North London Consortium too.
daft vading

Re: VR help please! DAO and Bond

Post by daft vading »

Also preparing for South West Consortium
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Bond is more suitable for the regions of Kent and Bucks where a large proportion of Y6 sit the test in their classroom and the pass score is lower.

I do not think it is suitable for DAO where there are only 65 places and over 1,000 students applying and where the numbers of students reaching the second round was only 36% last year. DG
daft vading

Post by daft vading »

Thank you Daogroupie. That was my feeling. We have had a very expensive 3 months doing Bond papers (with a tutor) then. I believe the only 100 question papers are by Athey? I have now ordered Athey, Walsh and Bright Sparks, but have read elsewhere on the forum that these should be left till later on.

Are the Athey question types still relevant for DAO/SW Herts and am I right in thinking we need to cover only the 21 GL question types? We are going through IPS now. The forum shop stocks AFN, Learning Lab, Letts and Learning Together; are these suitable for DAO? They have been recommended on older posts- but during the time of Moray House. I want to make sure we have enough material to take us through to the exam.

Lastly, is there value in completing a paper twice (with say a few months gap)? Maybe with second sitting in 45 minutes, and longer for first sitting to build technique? Maybe this way we can reuse the harder papers.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now