High IQ + Dyslexia = 11+ Pass??

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Delilah

High IQ + Dyslexia = 11+ Pass??

Post by Delilah »

My daughter has a high IQ (134)...but is very dyslexic. I am in South Bucks so exam is solely VR. Will her highh IQ get her thru VR -- or is it nit relevant?...Does dyslexia impact on VR?..and how
Y

Post by Y »

Your daughter's dyslexia could have a significant effect on her performance in the 11+. Success in word questions depends on the ability to read the words and know what they mean, to spell (or at least to recognise spellings), and to identify homophones (eg steel/steal), homographs (rose - the flower / rose - the past tense of rise). Coding questions require good tracking - a problem for some dyslexics. Maths questions require good times tables skills - also a problem for some dyslexics. It is worth applying for extra time for her in the 11+ - search the Bucks forum for details of how. Approach your school for help, but it must be said that not all schools are supportive of getting extra time - you may even be told it is not possible. If your daughter is currently in Year 5, you may be too late for extra time, but I'm not sure.
Delilah

Post by Delilah »

OMG...that has given me a reality check... a real shame that we have VR only as this will just test her weakness...I suppose the real Q i need ti ask is how would she do at grammar with this ld
Y

Post by Y »

Grammar schools have plenty of students with learning difficulties. SENCO at my DD's school commented that they have girls with problems 'crawling out the woodwork' right till year 13. If your DD is otherwise grammar material, then go and talk to the SENCOs at your local grammars. They will be able to help you.
deb489

Post by deb489 »

The answer is yes! to the question in the topic.

The question your really asking is:- 'How can i prepare my naturally gifted child to take their place at a grammar school?'

Where there is a will there is a way.

Regards...Deb
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Y - Bucks isn't really like that - you apply for the 11+ not to a particular school -

If I were you I'd say you need to go round the Open Evenings in Year 5 and ask each one how they support SEN - there is a wealth of difference between schools.

What do her current school say?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now