Timing question - can Patricia help?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bretagne

Post by bretagne »

Yes, it would be nice to think that wouldn't it? But just having come out of his mock test set by his tutor, he only managed to get up to 50 and ran out of time to randomly guess any more than 55. And couldn't remember how far he got on maths, but it wasn't the end. So the formality of the mock was clearly water off a ducks back - and he also managed to get a blood-soaked fat lip between the maths and the VR paper...

Glad however to hear of the massively wide discrepancy on scores you got from your sons. If he can up his VR by 15 and if he continues to get them almost all right, I suppose he's still in with a shout - if he speeds up on maths too. But nail-bitingly touch and go. One ridiculous bit of clutching at straws - he dramatically claimed he was 'always' tired on the way home from the mock - which, upon elaboration, seemed to amount to feeling tired for the last two weeks when I have been vaguely suspecting the entire family of having swine flu - I commute to London and they go swimming with kids who go to a school where there's been a major outbreak. Maybe that runny nose, headache and end of term lethargy wasn't just a summer cold and he's magically going to transform into a human dynamo once he's shirked it off? And then maybe I'll wake up and realise, when he's still making no headway by the end of the summer, that no-one has swine flu for that long...[/i]
Milla

Post by Milla »

our problem is that my maddening son refuses to "guess" because, being a perfectionist, he doesn't want "them" to think that he thought that a possibly wrong answer is right. Talk about heads and brick walls. drives me crazy. Argue as I might that he can get nothing at all from a blank answer whereas odds are that he might get something with a guess, he just won't, too much of a purist. A bit of me admires his dedication (to getting it right) but am so hoping that this very irritating trait will pass when, ha, if!!, reality kicks in.
Milla

Post by Milla »

nope, still being tediously perfectionist. Over-doing the rough paper work to get answers, too - too neat, things worked out which don't need to be worked out to answer the question. Which one of us will expire first!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now