learning the techniques to answer some VR questions

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

An uncertain parent

learning the techniques to answer some VR questions

Post by An uncertain parent »

I have a very willing and able daughter in year 5 who will be eligible to sit the 11+ next year. We have begun practicing questions but stumble at some of the verbal reasoning questions, eg dicyphering letter codes. Could someone explain where I can learn the technique for answering questions such as these? We have the 11+ exams CD which is very useful, but doesn't give hints for the really tricky ones! Many thanks. x
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

You're already in the right place! There are free materials on this website which explain the different VR types and techniques for dealing with them. Just click on the elevenplusexams logo and then scroll down the left hand side column.
Good luck!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

What area are you in?
An uncertain parent

techniques for VR questions

Thanks for the prompt reply!
I'm in Bucks, and must be going a bit mad, I've looked several times at the content of this site and can find lots of question papers but no technique "tutition". Where exactly should I be looking? Thinking of changing my user name to dumb and dumber. x
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I have pm'd you, uncertain parent.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the bit which tells you you have a new message.

Then you can click on the reply button on the message itself, and send me a message back.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Hmm. I've gone back and looked and didn't find what I was expecting. Maybe the site content has changed. I'm sure there was a whole section on how to do each of the VR question types, now it seems to just be sample questions. Sorry :oops:
An uncertain parent

Many thanks for your time, First Timer.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

A great book is the Verbal reasoning method and technique by IPS, it breaks down the various types of questions.

There used to be a free download here but I understand the author withdrew it but I have a copy and not sure if I can still share that copy by private pm???
Impossible is Nothing.
Daogroupie

""How to" Books on Verbal Reasoning

Post by Daogroupie »

Hello, There are quite a few How to books that you can get hold of. Bond have one, How to Do Verbal Reasoning, Athey has Verbal Reasoning Explained. IPS Verbal Reasoning Techniques. They will have interesting ideas that are worth reading about. There is not one technique that suits all. I learnt a new approach from each book, but I also tried and rejected others. And ones that suited me did not suit my elder dd who sat six Vr exams in ten weeks between November and February. My younger dd will be sitting the Sutton mocks in July and then the real thing in November and so we will be reviewing these books again to see whether some of the ideas suit her. So I would say be open to the ideas but don't force techniques. Trust your gut instinct. And also accept that you will find some types much easier than others. I love hidden words but hate the double alphabet codes. I taught my dd to open the paper and look for her favourite types first and start there to get those behind her. Many dont agree with this approach but it really worked for us.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear An Uncertain Parent.

As you are in Bucks the best method and technique book will be IPS.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... %3D8%23b85

Athey and Bond are not relevant to the stable of 21 types. Bond cover 50 types in standard form. [different techniques for Multiple Choice] Of those 50 types only 17 are relevant, 4 are missing, 33 are of no relevance.

You state your child is in year 5 and will take the test next year, they will in fact take the test in September/October this year

Have you seen the Bucks section?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=4782

Patricia