VR EASY

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

You really have to take into account nerves on the day. I think someone said on this site that a child should expect to lose 5% of their marks to nerves. I would imagine that this would work out the same with regards to time. Papers will take a little longer than they do in the relaxed comfort of their own homes.

Yes, some children will panic and spend time labouring over a certain question. After all they are only 10 years old and what sort of exam experience do they have? The only consolation is that nearly all the other children will be also taking a bit longer, or making mistakes due to nerves - so all things considered everything should balance out in the end. That's my theory anyway!

My son used to be able to do 50 min papers in 30 mins - consitently...and on the day he finished the paper with enough time to go back to one question he had missed out because it took longer to work out, and then time to check over one section that required maths and then his time was up!

Post by Guest »

At HABS, an independent selective school at Elstree, Herts., that my son took the exam for they sat a VR that was practically IMPOSSIBLE to achieve answering all the questions; 76 of them in 30 mins! (Although the school in its brochure stated 45 mins for the VR).
The children in his room had a good laugh after the intitial schock when they were told by the invigilator that if anyone manages to finish all questions it would be a miracle! This was a clever remark because it broke the tension. I think that they want to check how children cope with pressure and no time for checking the answers (This, after having taken an English test in the morning , followed by a Maths paper each lasting one hour, and with a big pizza plus fries in their tummy for lunch).

Of course my son did not finish the VR paper (but managed a very good part of it) ; to this day we have not found anyone that did. Neither him, nor us were very concerend about it; he was called for an interview within a week.

INEX

uote="jah"]There is always the possibility that the examiners set more questions than it is possible to do in the time, for whatever reason.

Practically though, taking the figure that the top 15% get a grammar school place, then I reckon that the top 10% should be able to finish. So, someone who "finds it easy" should finish. (Making a very broad assumption here - don't read anything into these figures )

I suspect that finding something easy but not necessarily finishing is something that younger children tend to do. By the time they get to year 6, children have generally experienced having to do a task within a set time.

My Year 10 daughter is a first class procrastinator, but it is the tasks she is less keen on or less good at that she procrastinates about (e.g. essays!). In other words, the things she finds easy she rattles through.[/quote]
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

The children in his room had a good laugh after the intitial schock when they were told by the invigilator that if anyone manages to finish all questions it would be a miracle! This was a clever remark because it broke the tension.
I think they must be trained to do that or else some invigilators have a natural instinct to relieve the tension. Our said, 'I've just had a look at the paper and you've got nothing to worry about, it's a doddle this year, because even I can answer the questions.' (I hope I didn't laugh too loud or too long!!!!!) The children laughed and the tension lifted as they all happily said goodbye to their parents and went off to erm...seal their fate! (gulp!) :lol:
jah

Post by jah »

My daughter no. 2 had daughter no. 1's German teacher as her invigilator, who asked her whether she was No. 1's sister. These little things all help to make things seem familiar.

Post by Guest »

Jed wrote:Yes, there are some children like that. Our eldest daughter did only the Bucks practice papers at school a few days before the actual 11+ and scored 76/80 and 78/80. She passed the 11+ with a very high score. I think it's a combination of a natural logic, being good all round (not just in one subject area) and the ability to work quickly. Does your friend's daughter tend to complete school work fast in general? Our daughter is still leaving A level essays until 9pm the night before, dashing them off and getting an 'A'! Drives her friends nuts who have to work much harder at it.

If only it were always that simple (it certainly wasn't for me or for our other daughter!)

Jed
It's wonderful to think that our son is not alone in being one of those 'special' children who didn't do anything for the 11+ yet still managed to get a max in the VR. He told me he found it so easy he did the second half of the paper using his left hand just to make it more interesting.