Walsh papers question to Patricia!!!!!!!!

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moved

Re: Walsh papers question to Patricia!!!!!!!!

Post by moved »

I only use these as tests with my top pupils as they are difficult. I also give them with a "health warning".

As VR is the third test in a morning of very tough tests I am aware that the children are very tired by the time they do the VR so having done some of the Walsh beforehand does help with the fact that it is really tough when you do the actual exam. As VR is viewed as the easiest of the three exams the children take most of the bright pupils can become complacent about that area of the test.
stressedparent

Post by stressedparent »

Hi moved,
Thanks for your reply, I wonder what would be the average score on these papers within your brightest cohert. I have been told some tutors use these papers in the 12 plus in Bucks.!
stressedparent
stressedparent

Post by stressedparent »

Hi blessed mum,
I have taken the plunge, I have mentioned to dd before the test that she should do her best, as these papers are the hardest around and she should not lose any confidence if her marks dip,that seem to make her more determined to do well,she scored 94%,89% and 94% in papers 1 , 2 and 3 consecetively. I am very pleased with her scores as i was very reluctant to use the walsh papers at this late stage. She always scored well in the nfer papers and the other practice tests. Many thanks blessed mum for your valuable advice.
stressedparent
patricia

Post by patricia »

Well done to stressed parents daughter...

Patricia
stressedparent

Post by stressedparent »

Hi Patricia,
Apologies, and many thanks to you too for all your advice
stressedparent
Daogroupie

Walsh and Bright Sparks

Post by Daogroupie »

Well done to your dd Stressed parent. You must be feeling very well prepared. Is your exam Maths and VR? Have you tried Bright Sparks at all? What is your ratio of questions to timing? Bright Sparks is 80 questions in 40 mins so is very good for speed. What is your plan for your remaining time? Are you sitting more than one exam?
stressedparent

Post by stressedparent »

Hi Daogroipie,
Well we still have to do the remaining Walsh papers, Susan Daugherty and one off nfer paper which I have left till last, my policy always to treat every paper as an unseen paper to resemble the real thing and never practice the paper more than once. Any mistakes she makes I write into a word document,and after a while you end up with another practice paper which I use in sections as practice material, I have learnt this from experience with my eldest daughter. There is no point making them sit the same paper more than once because their score will not be accurate as they have seen the papers before. I think this defeats the real issue as it becomes a memory test, I think you could use nvr papers but not vr.my daughter will be sitting Nonsuch Tiffin,and kendrick and maybe Langley. The test will be vr and nvr
stressedparent
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

Stressedparent,

well done to your DD. setting the scene always works and sometimes we underestimate the ability of these kids. My dd was in sch for the whole of the week for a study week so we took it easy on the papers as they did loads of papers and in exam condition at school through the week. Keep going, am sure she will be ok.
back to the drawing board for me now, continuing the papers at home.
mummytroubles

Post by mummytroubles »

FWIW my DD found the Guyon Learning Lab papers much harder than Walsh so if you want a real challenge they might be worth doing!

MT
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now