Tips needed on how to avoid marking answer in wrong box.

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pixiequeen

Tips needed on how to avoid marking answer in wrong box.

Post by pixiequeen »

DD sits the Glos. 11+ in 4 weeks. Apparently one of the papers has an answer sheet similar to that used in the Bucks. 12+ (No answers on answer sheet - just boxes labelled A, B, C, D, E etc.). I have a copy of an answer sheet that someone sent me, so we can do some practice, however I am very concerned that DD will put her answers in the wrong boxes - she only needs to miss one question out to get all the subsequent ones wrong.

I have explained to her that she needs to check carefully, but as she's a bit dyspraxic, I'm looking for a fool proof technique to help her make sure her mark goes in the right place.

Has anyone with experience of this type of answer sheet got any good techniques they could pass on?

I will be eternally grateful as I can see this being DD's biggest problem on the day.

Pixiequeen
no_ball

Re: Tips needed on how to avoid marking answer in wrong box.

Post by no_ball »

i have told my DS to use a ruler to line up the answer line with the question number..use a clear plastic 6 inch ruler.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Depends on what they are allowed to take into the "exam" room. Some Bucks schools do not allow the child to take any of their own stationery and supply them with a rubber and 2 pencils.

Ruler, first choice, pencil second choice.

I "brainwash" my children from the very beginning "you MUST always keep track of the question number you are completing"

The classic example is type G where all the ansers are one of A B C D E, oddly this is the type that many in the beginning have the urge to complete the example sum first [on the question booklet] I kindly let them finish the whole section, leaving them stumped when they have a spare box with A B C D E ....

I then give my ususal You MUST always keep track of the question number you are completing." and "You do not need to answer the example." thier faces are an absolute picture, we have a laugh about it but I make it clear thats the last time they allowed to do it, or else...

Patricia
drummer

Post by drummer »

I understand the problem as my dyslexic son recently sat the 12+ (and passed!).

It is potentially very confusing as you could have something like this: A) b B) e C) a D) a E) c

Lets say the answer is "C) a" then the stressed child could very easily incorrectly mark A) as the correst answer on the answer sheet.

Best avoiding this depends on whether you are allowed to write on the question sheet. If you can write on it then I'd advise that the child circle the answer letter only. In the above example that would mean circling the C) while excluding the 'a'.

If they can't write on the paper then keep a non-writing finger directly pointing at the answer letter while using the other methods descided above to put the answer in the correct place on the answer sheet.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Thank you very much everyone for your help. I shall try all your suggestions, although I suspect a ruler, which sounds ideal, won't be allowed.

Thanks again

Pixiequeen