Multiple Choice Questions

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
RaineB

Multiple Choice Questions

Post by RaineB »

My DS seems to be struggling with the multiple choice format. He's doing fine with VR papers with a standard format but is taking so long to complete MC papers. He is getting the questions right so it's not as though he doesn't know how to answer them. He says the questions are harder on MC and so they take longer.

We really need to crack this quickly as his first test is less than 2 weeks away and, of course, is the MC paper :?

Any tips that I could pass on to him?
Daogroupie

Re: Multiple Choice Questions

Post by Daogroupie »

They are mostly the same questions but at this late stage it is better to work with the issue rather than try and fight it. Why not let him write the answers on the papers first and then transfer his answers at the end if he does not find it easy to work directly with the mc answer sheet. Please check that you are allowed to write on the question paper. Some of the exams my elder dd did you were not allowed to write on the question paper as it was going to be re used. In this case ask if you are allowed to take working out paper in with you. I personally even when doing a mc paper write out the answers first and then transfer them and this works for me. I would not normally advise this habit but as you are so close to the real thing and he is obviously much happier with the standard format it might be an answer for you. Confidence is everything at this stage. My elder dd did much much better at the exams for the schools she was not that interested in because the pressure was off. We even arrived two hours late in the snow for one with me ranting all the way and she got really high marks! Keep your worries from him and suggest that he writes on the question paper if he prefers to work with one source instead of having to keep moving from answer sheet to questions. Good Luck and keep calm. Your demeanour is critical at this stage even if you do feel like screaming!
RaineB

Re: Multiple Choice Questions

Post by RaineB »

Thanks for the advice, Daogroupie. (Sorry it's taken some time to reply; our internet connection has been playing up).

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly. I assume that in the actual test it's only the answers on the answer paper that count. I've taken him through each question type and reminded him how to use the answer paper to help answer the questions which has given some improvement.

It sounds as though you know exactly how I'm feeling at the moment. Trying hard to keep calm but I will be very glad when the next month is over!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now