TYPE C

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sarah Hadlow

TYPE C

Post by Sarah Hadlow »

My son is finding type C questions very tricky - usually gets the right answer but takes some time!
Any tips would be great thanks.
patricia

Re: TYPE C

Post by patricia »

It is a myth that each question type should take 30 seconds, some types take 5 others take up to 40/50 seconds [some Zs even longer] I tell my students not to panic, yes long codes will take longer than other question types but that does not matter, just concentrate on getting them right. They are 100% easy marks.

A copy and paste of one of my old posts follows....

W X Y Z A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z A B C D

:: You need to find a WORD or a CODE.

:: You need to learn a rule and keep to it as differnet publishers use different layouts, sometimes they are different within the same section.

“Whatever you are looking for goes on the bottom.”

:: If you are looking for a WORD the WORD goes on the BOTTOM.
:: If you are looking for a CODE the CODE goes on the BOTTOM.

The word to remember is BOTTOM.

Example 1

If the code for LUCK is JSAI
What does EMMB mean?

:: Ignore the first line; go straight to the second line as you need to find out WHAT you are looking for, in this case, a WORD

::You are looking for a WORD so the WORD goes on the BOTTOM

...................J SAI
What does EMMB mean?

::Now work in a downwards fashion.

:: How do you get from J to L = +2 apply to the 1st letter of the code in the second line E +2 = G
:: How do you get from S to U = +2, apply to 2nd letter of the code in the second line M +2 = O
:: How do you get from A to C = +2, apply to 3rd letter of the code in the second line M +2 = O
:: How do you get from I to K = +2, apply to 4th letter of the code in the second line B +2 = D
:: This produces the word GOOD; mark it on the answer sheet.

:: YOU ONLY NEED TO WRITE THE LETTERS DOWN; THE REST IS SAID SILENTLY IN YOUR HEAD.

:: It is VERY important to keep to the same rule, if not you WILL get the wrong answer.

Example 2

W X Y Z A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z A B C D

If the code QBLE means SAND
What is the code for MOST?

“Whatever you are looking for goes on the bottom”

:: If you are looking for a WORD the WORD goes on the BOTTOM.
:: If you are looking for a CODE the CODE goes on the BOTTOM.

:: Ignore the first line; go straight to the second line as you need to find out WHAT you are looking for, in this case, a code.
:: You are looking for a CODE so the CODE goes on the BOTTOM

................SAND
If the code QBLE means SAND
What is the code for MOST?

:: Now work in a downwards fashion.

:: How do you get from S to Q = - 2 apply to the 1st letter of the word in the second line M - 2 = K
:: How do you get from A to B = + 1, apply to 2nd letter of the word in the second line O + 1 = P
:: How do you get from N to L = - 2, apply to 3rd letter of the word in the second line S - 2 = Q
:: How do you get from D to E = + 1, apply to 4th letter of the word in the second line T + 1 = U
:: This produces the code KPQU; mark it on the answer sheet.

:: YOU ONLY NEED TO WRITE THE LETTERS DOWN; THE REST IS SAID SILENTLY IN YOUR HEAD.

Short Cuts

Once you have mastered this technique you can start using a variety of time saving methods:

Method 1

Work out the first 3 letters only, then check the multiple choice answer sheet, most of the time these first three letters will be enough to find the answers from the options given. Sometimes you may need to find the next letter. Do not bother looking after one or two letters it is very rare that you will find the answer and therefore you will be wasting precious time by constantly checking.

Method 2

Work out the first and last letters only then check the multiple choice answer sheet, most of the time these first and last letters will be enough to find the answers from the options given. Sometimes you may need to find one more letter.
e.g. B______E
Answer sheet shows BARGE and BADGE , you will need to find the 3rd letter.

I only use method 2 with my "brighter" students as sometimes the questions are set up with different amounts of letters eg

What does EMMBLCQQ mean?

If the code for EMMBLCQQ is GOODNESS
What does ???? mean?

This becomes a whole new ball game and only my "quick thinking" students can "see" what to do. Some of my children use both methods depending on the length of letters. Its a practice thing, finding the best method that suits the child.

Patricia
wizard

Re: TYPE C

Post by wizard »

Thanks for your excellent tips Patricia. You mention some of these questions have different amounts of letters. I haven't come across any of those types yet. Do you ignore some of the "extra" letters or is there a technique to use in such cases?
many thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now