Taking test Papers with Kids

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Pete J

Taking test Papers with Kids

Post by Pete J »

First Post.

My daughter is taking 11+ this year for Wirral Grammar and we were on the verge of pulling her out as she seemed a bit bothered, she would burst out in tears with fustration of getting stuck. Although we didn't actually say anything to her or pressure her at all. She just didn't seem interested.

Her friends are all taking the exam and she would like to stay with them. (she has been tutored for last six months)

So I decided I would sit the test exams with her (in test conditions) (the tutors papers)

This has really sparked her interest again knowing she has some competition and trying to beat her dad. I'm trying to make it fun for her and so far it seems to be working.

I passed this exam 25 years ago and I really didn't expect it to be so tough. This isn't the same test surely.

she's now getting 90% + each paper ... So i'm very happy and she seems to be having fun taking it with me.

Is this a good idea ??? Anyone else do this ?

I won't say what my score was but let's put it this way.. I would probably be in the local comp today.

Thanks
Pete

Re: Taking test Papers with Kids

Post by Guest »

Pete J wrote:First Post.

My daughter is taking 11+ this year for Wirral Grammar and we were on the verge of pulling her out as she seemed a bit bothered, she would burst out in tears with fustration of getting stuck. Although we didn't actually say anything to her or pressure her at all. She just didn't seem interested.

Her friends are all taking the exam and she would like to stay with them. (she has been tutored for last six months)

So I decided I would sit the test exams with her (in test conditions) (the tutors papers)

This has really sparked her interest again knowing she has some competition and trying to beat her dad. I'm trying to make it fun for her and so far it seems to be working.

I passed this exam 25 years ago and I really didn't expect it to be so tough. This isn't the same test surely.

she's now getting 90% + each paper ... So i'm very happy and she seems to be having fun taking it with me.

Is this a good idea ??? Anyone else do this ?

I won't say what my score was but let's put it this way.. I would probably be in the local comp today.

Thanks
Pete
I did exactly the same thing with my son and daughter and they thoroughly enjoyed beating me! I agree that the tests are definitely NOT the same as years ago - they are much harder. It worked for me (twice) so good luck to your daughter - I really believe that it helped both my children get into the schools of their choice.
Road Runner

well done dad

Post by Road Runner »

Hi

What a great idea and now when she passes you will not only feel proud of her but also of yourself, I mainly tutored my son myself and I can tell you to know you also gave your child help really is a lovely feeling.

Sorry a bit gushy, anyway well done you even if you didn't pass!!

Mel1
sarah

Post by sarah »

Dear mel 1

having read your link i can see you are one of the lucky parents whose children passed please can you let me know which materials you used.

sarah
MelX

papers

Post by MelX »

Hi Sarah

Yes my son did pass last year and we were delighted. He took the Bucks test which is two Verbal Reasoning tests. What test will your child take as the test vary depending on the area.

MelX (peviosuly Mel1)