patricia

patricia to mike

Post by patricia »

duplicate
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Hello Patricia

Wirral included HIKNOS !!!

A lot of the children and parents were concerned that HIKNOS appeared on the practice papers, so to pacify them we gave all the youngsters some practice on the HIKNOS types.

Type HKNS appeared on the first paper, so we assume that types I and O will appear on the second.

The problem we had this year, and I am sure it will crop up again, is that the children were prepared for what was known to have happened in previous years not for what may happen in the future.

However, because all the children were confident in the standard fifteen types of questions and there is some similarities between some of the HIKNOS types and the standard types we are confident that they will perform well.

We cannot understand why some Wirral schools continued to recommend the NFER papers to parents without informing them of the additional types. The children are under enough pressure without them sitting down to complete a test that they have been prepared for under the guidance of the schools then find that the guidance has not been accurate. Two girls sitting the test at Wirral Grammar were physically sick during the test.

Everything having been said I think that a standardisation of the testing process across the country would be a good thing and I am not unhappy that Wirral have introduced the papers with a wider variety of questions to bring them in line with Bucks and other LEAs.

The first six papers written by ourselves that include the full range of questions should be on the site by the end of next week.

Congratulations on the 100% pass rate, how many students did you tutor for the test this year?

Now that someone had the bright idea of splitting the forum into seperate LEAs (you !!) it is quite lonely down in the Wirral section where I only seem to be able to talk to myself. Have read the postings on the Bucks section but they were mostly personal to Bucks, however it was nice to see so many people supporting each other on the site. Hopefully more topics will appear at the top of the forum.

Regards

Mike
patricia

Post by patricia »

Mike

Is it the case that misleading information = grounds for appeal?

Patricia
Last edited by patricia on Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mike

Well, did I and O come up on the second paper?

Patricia
Thea

Post by Thea »

What is HIKNOS?
Best Regards,
Thea
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Patricia

Yes. Six papers posted to site yesterday with all 21 question types as per your guidance.

What is HIKNOS ?

This is a reference to the IPS system of giving letters to question types.

NFER publish 'familiarization' papers that contain 15 different types of questions. However, many NFER tests contain 21 types of questions. The HIKNOS questions are those that do not appear on the familiarisation papers.

There is often confusion between the "familiarisation papers" that are available for purchase from book stores and this site and the "familiarisation packs" that are sent out to parents by LEAs that do contain the HIKNOS questions. This leads to parents believing that "familiarisation papers" and "familiarisation packs" are the same thing.

If you want to see some examples of HIKNOS questions look at most recent postings on the Wirral link to Wish Upon A Star (WUAS)

to Mike / Patricia

Post by Guest »

Where can i buy practice papers that cover all 21 type of questions

"NFER publish 'familiarization' papers that contain 15 different types of questions. However, many NFER tests contain 21 types of questions. The HIKNOS questions are those that do not appear on the familiarization papers.

There is often confusion between the "familiarization papers" that are available for purchase from book stores and this site and the "familiarization packs" that are sent out to parents by LEAs that do contain the HIKNOS questions. This leads to parents believing that "familiarization papers" and "familiarization packs" are the same thing.

If you want to see some examples of HIKNOS questions look at most recent postings on the Wirral link to Wish Upon A Star (WUAS)"
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest

The 21 types referred to are associated with Bucks and Wirral areas and possibly others. What part of the country are you from?

Publishers that contain the 21, include, IPS, AFN, and Susan Daughtrey [ Bright Sparks ONLY, not books 1-7] They can be purchased from this website

Patricia

Post by Guest »

thanl you Patricia. I live in Essex.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest

Try posting in the Essex section further down.

Patricia
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now