Typo in Athey Test pack 1 paper 6 or am I doing them wrong

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hera

Typo in Athey Test pack 1 paper 6 or am I doing them wrong

Post by Hera »

It is 2 code questions and they give the alphabet to help you.

If 9 8 13 20 means RING then 6 11 12 13 means -------------

(the anwer should be UPON I can only make it work if the second number in the code for RING should be 18 not 8 as they have put)

If 10 8 18 18 means KISS the 19 0 3 8 means --------------

(the answer should be TAXI I can only make it work if the 3rd number in the code for the word you are trying to find is 23 not 3 as they have put)

Can someone out there with a bit more savvy/ experience please help. Thanks!
faitaccompli

Re: Typo in Athey Test pack 1 paper 6 or am I doing them wro

Post by faitaccompli »

My son tells me that you are right and there is a misprint. But he is only 10 and is not often right about much!!! The number of the letter in the alphabet -1 apparently.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

he is right about the letters in the alphabet but they are backwards z=1, y=2 .....
for the second one J is the tenth letter so it is number of letter +1, so I agree it should be 23
Hera

Post by Hera »

Thank you all for confirming that they are mistakes. I just wanted to check I wasn't missing anything as I am surprised that the papers have mistakes in them. I hope there won't be any in the real thing as they completely threw my DS. Although perhaps that was a good lesson in itself.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There was a mistake on one of the questions of the Maths papers of one of the entrance exams my elder dd took in 2009. It is important to teach dcs to cut their losses very quickly on a question. This goes against what they are taught at school so it is a message that needs to be underlined. They need to get used to the idea of ringing a question and coming back to it when all easier questions have been completed. I taught my dds to go and find the questions they find easiest and do those first in order to build early confidence but I appreciate that this is a approach that would not suit all students. DG