Is this a good start ??

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

Re: Is this a good start ??

Post by Sally-Anne »

Yes, I would finish the IPS papers.

For the Type N number codes there is a useful alternative method in stevew61's post on this thread.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 39#p254039" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
toolate

Post by toolate »

What kind of time is he doing them in? We are doing exactly the same this week and have similar-ish marks - but I have been allowing an extra 10+ minutes. Definitely time is a problem for us, especially in codes and type Js are a nightmare also.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Do not worry at this stage. Most of my children do not complete these IPS tests in time.

Timing will come with practice.

Its surprising how once they start the 80 question tests, they can suddenly complete in time or very close.

Patricia
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Which schools are you aiming for? You will find it will take time to adjust to the different styles of the various papers. The first time you attempt a different publisher you might find the marks take quite a dip but keep at it and things should recover. DG
Manny0311

Post by Manny0311 »

Daogroupie wrote:Which schools are you aiming for? You will find it will take time to adjust to the different styles of the various papers. The first time you attempt a different publisher you might find the marks take quite a dip but keep at it and things should recover. DG
I'm in Bucks so applying for Royal Grammar and John Hampden...
toolate

Post by toolate »

Thanks Patricia for the reassurance on timing. I hadn't considered that when they get longer they may actually catch up - but I can see how that might actually work...Fingers crossed.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

You do also have to remember that the IPS 30 minute papers have two Type Z logic problems on them, while the full length papers still have only two of them, so the IPS papers take a disproportionate amount of time for those questions.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Sally-Anne wrote:You do also have to remember that the IPS 30 minute papers have two Type Z logic problems on them, while the full length papers still have only two of them, so the IPS papers take a disproportionate amount of time for those questions.
Absolutely.

In addition my next port of call are The Tutors full length papers which have rather easy Zs. It certainly gives the children a boost. Method in my madness...

Patricia
toolate

Post by toolate »

Thanks Patricia and Sally-Anne. I had planned to move onto The Tutors next but I am confused about which ones as there are so many different options in the shop on this website. Is it the papers 1-12B?

I'd be grateful if someone could explain which Tutors papers I should be looking at after the IPS.

Many thanks

toolate

PS. DS Scored 92% in 35 minutes today! Hurray! - We may continue after all....skipped both type z's of course! Maths and English also perilously neglected....
patricia

Post by patricia »

Yes, its 1B - 12B.

Good Luck!

Patricia
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now