Similar and opposite in meaning

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Manny0311

Similar and opposite in meaning

Post by Manny0311 »

Hi apologies if already on the site somewhere but is there anywhere here where I can get access to a supply of practice questions please on similar and opposite in meanings ?
Thanks a lot
faz

Re: Similar and opposite in meaning

Post by faz »

advertising removed by a moderator
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

With my DD I used the practice questions in mainly the IPS materials but also SD (we were short on time). Any words she didnt know/got wrong - I wrote on a postcard and then got her using a thesaurus to find similars/opposites. I then kept testing her. Having more prep time with my DS - I printed off 'Patricia's important words for verbal reasoning' off this site and we went through and crossed off the ones he KNEW. For these we then discussed words similar/opposite in meaning and/or he looked up in a thesaurus. For the ones he didnt/doesnt know - we take between 10 and 20 a week and discuss the meaning and then do the same similar/opposite exercise. But I then randomly ask from the others and keep a note of ones he doesn't know. Its definitely worked because on practice papers he is getting normally a minimum of 6/8 right and normally more. When he has done a practice paper, I go through all the words on the similar/opposite sections and (even if he got the question right - as there could be 4 words per question he doesn't know) discuss them - if there are any that I need to add to the 'shortlist' I have from Patricia's list I do that. I do the same with the type B questions too and have also produced a list of 'baby animals, animal group names, instruments, colours etc etc' that we do a similar exercise with.
Manny0311

Post by Manny0311 »

Stocky, That is very useful. Thank You
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now