England is to rose as Wales is to ?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bristolmum

Re: England is to rose as Wales is to ?

Post by bristolmum »

Thanks everyone.

My DS knew a school of dophins from reading.

Now he also learns the difference between a shoal of fish and a school of fish.

I go along with you janet71. And I will add national emblems and flowers" to my DS list of things to learn too.
Bm
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Hmm. Not impressed by the choices given in those questions. Leek may be the national emblem of Wales (when I read your qu before seeing options, I thought "leek' but daffodil suggests they are looking for the national flower, and that, in Wales, is the daffodil.

And I've just read that schools of fish disperse after dark, whereas shoals don't. If herds don't disperse at night, then is shoal a more appropriate link?
WimbledonMum

Post by WimbledonMum »

A school of fish is a group of fish of a single species, while a shoal of fish is a group of fish of mixed species.

These questions really are quite ridiculous, aren't they?
rainbow1

Post by rainbow1 »

I agree WimbledonMum, the questions are ridiculous! Here are some of my 'favourite' words that my son is expected to know...Peddle (as in to sell), cord (as in twine,string), press (as in to iron) and trim (as in slim). Oh, and dear (as in expensive, a word my mum would use,but I wouldnt!) These words are so old fashioned!
daveg

Post by daveg »

rainbow1 wrote:Here are some of my 'favourite' words that my son is expected to know.
Expected by whom? Most of those books of 11+ papers appear to date back to the abdication crisis. Given the large numbers of children with EAL who pass the 11+, it seems implausible that this sort of language knowledge is being tested in real 11+ papers.
rainbow1

Post by rainbow1 »

These words came up in IPS Daily Practice Book 1 (published 2004) and Eleven Plus Exam Group 11+ Practice Papers (2010). I cannot imagine why the author would think that a 10 year old boy would know that press means the same as iron, etc! You could say that in context he should have worked our which two words went together, but its not always that obvious! My daughter read every Famous Five and Secret Seven book going and was familiar with such words,whereas my boy isn't interested in reading them. Fingers crossed such dated words won't appear in the real test! If they do, at least everyone will be in the same boat. Thankfully the 11+ Test in Bucks is being changed next year, hopefully for the better.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now