Which is harder - GL pack 1 or pack 2?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Plum

Which is harder - GL pack 1 or pack 2?

Post by Plum »

Hi

Just wondered what the general opinion was. DD scored higher on pack 2 and finished more questions, however we did do pack 1 (the pack with the giraffe on the front) a while ago. This, would suggest that their has been some improvement, which makes the effort worthwhile!

Thanks

Plum
janet71

Re: Which is harder - GL pack 1 or pack 2?

Post by janet71 »

Pack 1 is easier then pack, my ds then did bright sparks 1 and 2 then we went back round again to arrived.GL1 and there had been a few months gap i guess and his scores went up from 60s to mid 80s so you will probably see a natural improvement also
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Hiya Plum - I concur with Janet. DS did pack 1 with an average score of 79% a while ago, he then tackled Bright sparks, AFN etc and then pack 2 with an average of 86%, but I think that is down to confidence, speed and just general improvement than the papers being easier. Saying that he is going to do a couple from pack 1 this week, as our VR test is Saturday, just because the layout is the same as our test.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Apparently GL packs 1 and 2 for VR are no different in difficulty. I spoke to GL on the phone and they assured me that each of the 4 papers from each pack were all individual papers and were not graded in difficulty! :)
janet71

Post by janet71 »

I think the problem with pack 2 is the layout - In pack 1 all the "quick" questions seems to be first and and there are only 2 x z questions but in pack 2 I noticed that the longer type questions seemed to be first and also 4 x z quesions on some papers which are longer, I believe the real test only has 2 type z questions so perhaps this is why they seem harder? but I did notice that my DS did very well on pack 1 and quite poor on pack 2 but when he revisited them again 2 months later that were the same in scores.
Tagore

Post by Tagore »

I am with PumpkinPie on this one. I spoke to GL early this year and they confirmed that all papers are set at the same level.
T
Manny0311

Post by Manny0311 »

Thanks to both of you who have actually gone out of your way to find the facts.

Much appreciated.

Why do people make up so many of their own assumptions on this website ? it drives people insane !

Get your facts right first...if GL says thats what it is...THEN THAT IS WHAT IT IS
Ringostar

Post by Ringostar »

Manny: Not necessary that people are making things up. They are just describing their experience with particular set of papers.

We did SD, then Bright Sparks, then GL1. DC was scoring 85+ at that time. Score on GL2 was even higher 95-100%, and I too was of view that GL2 was easier. Actually, GL2 was not easier; just DC is doing far better now than few months back. Had we done GL1 and GL2 before doing other papers, we might have thought that GL2 was quite difficult. We are doing different papers now and the score is around 85-95%. Hope this explanation helps.