First past the Post papers..

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Even sell up

First past the Post papers..

Post by Even sell up »

I was very keen to buy these papers as obviously the authors are connected to this site. I think they are really quite difficult - does anyone else have an opinion - would hesitate to get my DS to do these, especially after looking at PAPER A.

Q.48:

76 76 ÷ 2 = 2 + 3 x ( ? ) Answer = 12, explanation ‘If you substitute ? = 12 then you reach the solution: 76 ÷ 2 = 2 + 3 x 12 ( which equals 38 )

Q. 49

15 x 3 – 2 = 3 + 8 x ( ? ) Answer = 5, explanation ‘if you substitute ? = 5 then you reach the solution: 15 x 3 – 2 = 3 + 8 x 5 ( which equals 43 )

Surely these questions can’t be correct as they don’t follow the BODMAS/BIDMAS mathematical rules?

Any thoughts, from anyone who has bought this series of papers?
anotherworriedmum

Re: First past the Post papers..

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Looks like there is a technique to be learnt there so once you have done a few they seems relatively easy. I cant see how they are verbal reasoning though, or am I missing something?
JRM

Post by JRM »

Q.48:

76 76 ÷ 2 = 2 + 3 x ( ? ) Answer = 12, explanation ‘If you substitute ? = 12 then you reach the solution: 76 ÷ 2 = 2 + 3 x 12 ( which equals 38 )

This is correct. Using BODMAS you need to do the multiplication first and then the addition. 3x12=36
36+2 = 38

And 76/2 = 38

Are they suggesting that there is a different answer?

Q= 49

15 x 3 – 2 = 3 + 8 x ( ? ) Answer = 5, explanation ‘if you substitute ? = 5 then you reach the solution: 15 x 3 – 2 = 3 + 8 x 5 ( which equals 43 )

Again I think this works:

15x3=45
45-2=43

And for the other side of the equation:
8x5=40
3+40=43

Sorry if I have got the wrong end of the stick. I don't know the papers concerned so am just looking at the maths of it.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The questions are correct mathematically, but they are not in the usual format for GL Assessment papers.

The VR papers are at the more difficult end of the spectrum. I can't comment on the others because I haven't looked at them yet. :oops:
anotherworriedmum wrote:I cant see how they are verbal reasoning though, or am I missing something?
Almost all VR papers contain a few maths questions. There are four maths question types on GL papers, link here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... t-a-glance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fairweathergardener

Post by fairweathergardener »

I think these are definitely at the harder end of the spectrum. These were challenging fr my daughter and she has got 80% in each of the two she's done so far. Normally she gets about 86% on average, sometimes more in the letts, GL and nfer....
The vocab is definitely harder too, probably more akin to the Walsh papers.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now