Have I left it too late?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kitkat

Post by kitkat »

I had the same with my daughter. She just needed her confidence building. I told her that she could allow about 30 seconds per question and we sat quietly and timed 30 seconds and she then thought it seemed quite a long time! We played a little game trying to guess when 30 seconds was up and then she realised that it was longer than she thought.
I practised for about 3 months with her before the exams. It was mainly confidence that she needed, exam technique and timing. She is not a very confident person naturally but by exam day she was very confident for her and just found out she passed!

I would be interested if the first paper you did was 11a non verbal because I think this is the hardest ever paper! My daughter got much less marks on that one and it didn't do much for her confidence at the time.

I'm glad its all over but I've got to go through it all again next year!
WorriedMum

Post by WorriedMum »

Hi KitKat!
Congratulations to you and your daughter. :D
Yes, confidence was the biggest stubbling block with my son - not just 11+ related - he is just not a very confident boy.
I hope that passing has made the same impact on your daughter as it has for my son.
TBH my biggest fear of him failing was that it would knock the little confidence he does have so the fact that his confidence has grown is just brilliant.
Yes 11a NVR is the one we started with. We even did it again after all the work we had done and still struggled. It's a shame it is the first paper most children and parents try.

Well done again Miss KitKat! :)

And good luck to all those who are still to sit and/or receive their results.
kitkat

Post by kitkat »

WorriedMum wrote:Hi KitKat!
Congratulations to you and your daughter. :D
Yes, confidence was the biggest stubbling block with my son - not just 11+ related - he is just not a very confident boy.
I hope that passing has made the same impact on your daughter as it has for my son.
TBH my biggest fear of him failing was that it would knock the little confidence he does have so the fact that his confidence has grown is just brilliant.
Yes 11a NVR is the one we started with. We even did it again after all the work we had done and still struggled. It's a shame it is the first paper most children and parents try.

Well done again Miss KitKat! :)

Thank you I forgot to say congratulations to your son!

I hope he will be really happy at his new school. My daughter had set her heart on the grammar school and although everyone kept telling me I had nothing to worry about there is always a dread that something could go wrong. On one of her practises she got stuck on one of the questions and went to pieces. When I marked it she had got all of them right until that question and then all of them wrong after! So I was worried incase that happened around question 10!

I hope they both get a place now and gain some confidence. Mind you I would rather she was a bit under confident then a big head!!

Good luck you deserve it! I'm not looking forward to going through it all again next year.

And good luck to all those who are still to sit and/or receive their results.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Is that you Worried Mum who has sent me some PMs?? Well done to you and your son!!! SO pleased for you xx :P :lol:
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Eds Mum

I think we have a registered member called Worried Mum and a guest called WorriedMum [ no spaces ]

PMs can only be sent between registered users.

Confused?

Patricia
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

No, not confused. Obviously the other one!