GL Assessment VR - where it is won and lost

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
andyb

Re: Where the Bucks 11+ is won and lost

Post by andyb »

faitaccompli wrote:Mine was convinced that paper 1 was FAR easier than paper 2.
Not born out by his 116 on paper 1 and 123 on paper 2 ...

So there must have been a fair few "trick" questions (along the lines of the poplar/popular one I have seen before)

Is this spread over both papers? Was paper 1 harder for vocab than paper 2 perhaps?
DS2 said exactly the same - paper 1 was "easy" and paper 2 was "OK". His scores were very similar to your DS on both papers which was a bit of a surprise. I know that he often leaps to the wrong obvious answer when it comes to vocab questions so S-A's analysis rings completely true.
Mostlymum

Post by Mostlymum »

Vvv interesting, thanks for this Sally-Anne.

I'm DIYing DS1 for this year, http://www.freerice.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is our favourite vocab 'helper' (along with Patricia's word lists...!)
hasmum

Post by hasmum »

My Ds had said paper 1 was harder than paper 2 but got 126 and 124, his maths was always better than his english so I had to really sit down with him and did loads of vocab, and I guess it paid off.

Ds didn't like the codes/non vocab qs initially but i focused more on them until he mastered them, thank god he hardly made any mistakes on the non vocab qs, which I guess helps as then you can spend more time on the vocab.

I hope to DIY my dd's as they're more disciplined than my ds, it was a real mission in the beginning to get him to sit down.
Last edited by hasmum on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

Mostlymum wrote:Vvv interesting, thanks for this Sally-Anne.

I'm DIYing DS1 for this year, http://www.freerice.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is our favourite vocab 'helper' (along with Patricia's word lists...!)
I love patricia's word lists.
We use them for spelling tests and for definitions as well, I am quite amazed at how my DS is doing with his definitions!
Vic x
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

I have a few compound words from the last test remembered by my DS and his friends. I made a note of them to use for my next DS. Some are quite tricky, is it safe to post these now as the Oct 2011 paper will not be used again?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I know some people have taken them in the last couple of weeks (faitaccompli's DS) so probably best not to.
scary mum
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

scary mum wrote:I know some people have taken them in the last couple of weeks (faitaccompli's DS) so probably best not to.
I think the Feb test dates which we did were the last ones on offer for 2012 entry - but who knows!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

jabba7 wrote:I have a few compound words from the last test remembered by my DS and his friends. I made a note of them to use for my next DS. Some are quite tricky, is it safe to post these now as the Oct 2011 paper will not be used again?
Best not to, jabba. It is entirely possible that children could move into the area and be tested up until quite late. I would say the earliest it is safe to post them is July.
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

OK Sally-Anne, I'm glad I checked.

If anyone wants them in July let me know then! I'm sure they only remembered the hard ones but for me they were tough.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

jabba7 wrote: ... If anyone wants them in July let me know then! I'm sure they only remembered the hard ones but for me they were tough.
As we know, they won't probably be used for the 2012 test, however always good for word practive :)

'jabba7' ... will await my DCs practice words in July :wink: Thanks x x x :)
Heartmum x x x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now