DIY Preparation for CEM

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

LauraA

DIY Preparation for CEM

Post by LauraA »

Thank you Patricia, very useful and thorough information, thank you for your time.
I am fairly new to the process and still trying to get my head around I think the key here is knowing exactly what materials to work from and what each area requires - We are taking Bexley, Kent and Newstead exam this September. Bexley obviously now moved over to CEM testing, does this mean that GL Assessments or IPS are not relevant materials for us to work from? I know they are still valid for Newstead and possibly Kent (if I am correct), but not sure about Bexley - can you help with this?
What materials do you think in your opinion are best to work from for a CEM exam?

Thank you
mitasol

Re: DIY Preparation for CEM

Post by mitasol »

Hi Laura,

I've split your post off from the DIY Preparation for GL Assessment as CEM advice is a different topic.

Hopefully I can point you in the right direction.

Patricia has started a new thread for DIY CEM Preparation. This is Bucks thread but should be broadly similar.

It is also worth looking in Birmingham as they have had CEM tests for many years.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30114" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can find Bexley specific information in the school section (from the drop down menu at the top of the page)
Bexley 11 plus
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Re: DIY Preparation for CEM

Post by DIY Mum »

Unfortunately, traditional VR is nothing like CEM VR which is usually broken into 4 areas:
A. Vocabulary
B. Cloze
C. Comprehension
D. Proof reading

In addition to knowing which materials to use, the sample questions which are provided to dp on registration are really useful as a guide.

A. Vocabulary: usually testing synonyms and antonyms- about a total of 50-80 (varies year on year) in under 8 mins. The real q's are very difficult unlike the easy peasy ones illustrated in the sample :!:

B. Cloze Type 1: missing letters in some of the words in a passage, usually 2-3 pages long.

Cloze Type 2: choose one word from out of 3/4 words in text.

Cloze Type 3: a combination of cloze with synonyms / antonyms.

C. Comprehension: Multiple Choice passage (non fiction or fiction text).

D. Proof reading: editing sentences: punctuation, grammar; eliminate odd word from jumbled sentences. No sample.

A quote from B'ham Exam content.

Shuffled sentences - about 14 questions in about 8 mins

Make a sentence with all the words provided and shade the superfluous word in the box.
Example Q: The rain the umbrella on fell water.
Example A: - The rain fell on the umbrella. So the correct selection is water.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now