Help with a VR question

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rainbow Petals

Re: Help with a VR question

Post by Rainbow Petals »

How do you spot this type of question? :?
manyaonisland

Post by manyaonisland »

Thanks for the question and explanation.
I have never seen the letter swapping space before but there is always something new out there.

My real concern is - is this even realistic for 11 year old kid giving exam under time pressure to get this problem out of no where and then understand the pattern (swap) and work on it?
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

I suspect this is what’s known as a “discriminator” question: a question that’s unfeasibly difficult for almost every child. Therr will be the one or two children who are gifted at “seeing” complex patterns and it gains them an extra mark above the rest of the cohort. The papers will only have a few questions like this, it is not worth worrying about them, other than to make your child aware it’s okay to be stumped by a question, just guess and move on so they don’t waste time on it (or get worried by it to distract them).
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

You are aware that this thread is 10 years old?
scary mum
manyaonisland

Post by manyaonisland »

Yes I see that but is that the problem discussing about 10 year old question if it is still applicable?
This may well serve as reminder to parents who may have forgotten about it as it is 10 year old. I saw it today and thought of expressing what I felt. On the contrary when I gave this question to my 09 year old DD ( as I was telling her today I came across different type of question) she solved that in a min and said I could see it straight away.
I am certainly getting old :cry: