Why????

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jayne

Ambiguity

Post by jayne »

Is it likely in the real thing that the questions will be able to have more than one answer or do they ensure that this cannot happen!!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

This is a case where multiple choice papers are an advantage surely.

I arrived at 28 instinctively, but if 28 was not an option then I would do a rethink!

I find multiple choice particularly goos with code type questions, you can discard at least one option after teh first letter, then eliminate as you go on...

Post by Guest »

Is it likely in the real thing that the questions will be able to have more than one answer or do they ensure that this cannot happen!!
Good question :? :? :? :?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

It is extremely unlikely (I won't say impossible, just in case!) for there to be flaws in the real papers. The NFER papers are obviously carefully checked and also trialled before the test and any flaws such as this would immediately show up.

There are also only 80 questions on the real papers. The main reason that many practice materials have flaws is the sheer volume of questions in them. Sometimes the writers "lose sight of the wood in among the trees", and sometimes they just make a typo!

Most paper practice materials come with an erratum sheet if errors have been found after publication, and the CDs from this site are corrected the moment a problem is passed on to ForumAdmin, so all the CDs that go out from that point forward will no longer have the error.

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Hi

I think with this question where there is more than one possible answer a childs natural ability/reasoning/instinct will have to come into play, as I looked at the numbers I automatically saw that the missing number was 28. Being an adult and not a child who would probably look at things differently I thought I'll ask my 7yr old if she could see what the missing number would be and after 30 seconds she said 28, when I asked her how she came to that number she said she looked at all the numbers in brackets and saw the sequence :shock: . I guess this is what they call a childs natural reasoning ability.
kent07

Post by kent07 »

my child worked it out and got 28 immediately.I see one can also arrive at 52. But I cannot understand why someone will arrive at 50.

Post by Guest »

Hi Kent07

Multiply the two outer numbers then add 2.

Regards

Mike
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now