Help needed in two areas please

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MadMum.com

Help needed in two areas please

Post by MadMum.com »

Hi everyone my dd is struggling in two areas of verbal reasoning. I have tried different approaches but to no avail.

Section 1
Find the four letter word which can be added to the letters in capitals to make a new word. The new word will complete the sentence sensibly.

There was PY of food for all of us.

ANSWER is lent

I do understand these we have been looking at lots of new words etc and the list available on this site. Dd is only managing to get the odd one or two correct.

The second area is.

Find two letters which will end the first word and start the second word.

Sug _ _ ch

Answer AR (sugar & arch)

Again dd is only managing the odd one or two correct in this section.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve this? We are currently working through letts, nfer, gl assessments along with bonds.

She will be sitting the Medway & Kent tests September 2013. So we are starting to run out of time.
IronMikeTyson

Re: Help needed in two areas please

Post by IronMikeTyson »

Hi my dd struggled on this.This was a few months ago. We continued to practice and ensure that you go over the mistakes and repeat the paper again a few days later.It helped
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
MadMum.com

Post by MadMum.com »

I'm guessing there is no quick fix then. We will have to just continue and hope it sinks in, or doesn't come up in the exams.

Thanks for your comment.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

There are no shortcuts I am afraid. It is all about what books/vocabulary have been read, understood and grasped for last couple of years. As tactical approach, let DC re-do those questions and see if the brain clicks for those words. Use as much material - Bond, GL, 11-12 whatever to expose to large variety of such questions to build up confidence and yes keep fingers crossed.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now