VR Standard Format

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Driscol

Unfortunately the Warwickshire NFER Test this year is a once off test after the fiasco of last yeasr Moray House Test and investigation into possible cheating etc.

I believe it's possible that they may switch to the Univ of Durham next year.

Having said that there is a lot of useful empirical evidence of the type of scores that you need to achieve with NFER type papers with the Warwickshire type of 11+ exams. The ratio's are not that dissimilar to the Birmingham LEA Grammar exams (Sutton Coldfield/Bishop Vesey not KE Foundation).

We were always told that to pass the exam you needed to be at about the 82nd percentile, which in NFER raw score terms (according to my son's old school) was about 84% + or - 2 depending on Age (to take account of age standardisation). Howwever the school also warned us that there were always a lot of children scoring at or around the pass mark, so for practice papers a child needs to be hitting consistently at close to 90% for confidence.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Driscol

Post by Driscol »

Thanks for that information Ken really is quite useful to myself.

My childs practise scores vary quite alot, over the last 12 or so papers it ranges from about 84% to 98% probably averaging around 92%.

His hard work over the last couple of months has really helped his scores improve, initially he was averaging about 80%.

The variation of the scores purely comes down to the type/difficulty of the vocabulary used in the papers apart from that he is very consistant .

August birthday so atleast thats in his favour.

If he doesn't get through it certainly wont be from a lack of trying on his behalf.
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

On the subject of VR question types, is there a page on this site or elsewhere that shows a mapping between the letters sometimes used to denote types (e.g. in IPS method and technique book) and the numbers 1-15?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Bad Dad

May I firstly say that you cannot be a Bad Dad if you care about your child enough to post on an 11+ forum. :D

Patricia posted a list of numbers versus letters here - 4th post down:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=3049

Hope that helps.

I think I shall try to post it as a "Sticky" on this section, as it is very useful information. It means a journey into dark dusty places on the Forum, so I could be gone some while! :lol:

Sally-Anne
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

Thanks very much for posting the translation, Sally-Anne.

BTW, with reference to KenR's reply 4 up from this one, a lot of people seem to think that the Warwickshire format will change again next year, but I checked with admissions and they told me it won't.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=3097

A bit of a shame, really. I think me and Bad Son were quite looking forward to a bit more variety. If anyone hears any different, please let me know.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now