Susan Daughtrey Bright Sparks test papers

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

TEES

Post by TEES »

How many are the Walsh papers or books?

Post by Guest »

I think there are three books in total, tiger stripe front cover in pink, blue and green. I know Patricia doesn't rate these books and there are some questions that are not covered but for vocabulary this is hardest, my daughter has just started at grammar and the actual exam was incredibly difficult, she said the closest in terms of difficulty of all the papers she had used were these ones.
Louise2

Post by Louise2 »

sorry forgot to sign my name the above post was from me.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Louise

Its not that I dont like these papers, its just that I believe there are other publishers on the market that mimic the real 11 plus, in a 'better' way eg they expect knowledge of BODMAS/BIDMAS, Nfer do not.

I have indeed used Walsh for my sessions, sections at a time, but do not use them as tests.

Patricia
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Louise2 wrote:the actual exam was incredibly difficult
In what sense was it difficult? Vocab Difficult?

Thanks in advance
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Louise2

Post by Louise2 »

There were no surprises in terms of format or types of questions, just the vocabulary was harder than expected.

Post by Guest »

Test 6 Q23

The man
man wore
wore a
a flat
flat hat

Dd answered The man, making 'them' but the correct answer was flat hat making 'that'. If there is a capital letter does this make the word void- (don't think you can start a sentence with Them), or if there are two possible answers should you go for the second or should we just not worry about this sort of thing as in the real test the correct answer will stand out?
duffymoon

Post by duffymoon »

I think you've hit the nail on the head with capital letters. A trick question or what - very sneaky.
Suesole

Post by Suesole »

Hi My son did exactly the same thing. I gave him the mark but now I know about capital letters I will let him know to watch out.....I love this site!!!!

Post by Guest »

I think I need to remind her to go through the entire set even if she does think she has found the answer, just in case something else springs out. I bet she didn't, just saw Them and moved on to the next question.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now