Athey VR papers

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

parent2013

Re: Athey VR papers

Post by parent2013 »

They are alright for regular practise but not hard. I think they are 6 on a scale of 1 to 10.

My ds used to score >90% consistently during the same time last year. But he struggled with other publications which I thought were much harder than Athey.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

How much time did you give him to complete a paper? Which others would you grade harder than Athey? Thanks DG
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

100Q in 1 hr for 1st iteration followed by 45 mins in the 2nd iteration.

The only ones he got stuck initially was questions like

A,B,C,D,E and F are six friends. A likes swimming and football but not chess.. With the correct approach (tabular), he started getting those right.

There were some silly mistakes but I did not find much ambitious vocabulary in those papers.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

southbucks3 wrote:Abcdef g hi j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
0123456789101112131415161718192021222324 25

Printing errors.

First one is clearly heap

Second one should read 23 not 3 in the question

Give your girl the points, plus extras for the aggravation! :D
Thanks SB3. At the moment DD is innocent (naive) enough to be contented with the two extra marks :-). Don't know long will it be until she asks for extra compensation.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

sonasona wrote:
berks_mum wrote:
sonasona wrote:I don't think they are that difficult, I'm aware of a few children doing all 6 papers last week and scoring an average of 95%+. They are graded.
Wow 95%+, I am amazed. Doesn't leave enough room for silly mistakes. Well there are stalwarts everywhere :-)

On a serious note, what should i do if my dd doesn't get 95%+. I was under the impression that first round scores should be above 85% and then increase with successive rounds.
Don't worry, anything above 75% is pretty good at this stage, there is loads of time to go yet. It will all come with time....are you attending the Sutton mocks soon (English & Maths)? I've heard they are supposed to be good.
sonasona, thank you for cheering me. The pessimist in me wants to be ready for the worst …est… situation :-)

I have booked for Sutton mocks this month, however, in hindsight I should have waited. She is not completely ready yet. She is still learning some bits.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

parent2013 wrote:100Q in 1 hr for 1st iteration followed by 45 mins in the 2nd iteration.

The only ones he got stuck initially was questions like

A,B,C,D,E and F are six friends. A likes swimming and football but not chess.. With the correct approach (tabular), he started getting those right.

There were some silly mistakes but I did not find much ambitious vocabulary in those papers.
Agree, vocabulary wasn't too ambitious. DD, however, did not know what onerous means and few silly mistakes off course.

I didn't time her as this was the first full length paper she ever did ( I thought Athey was entry level). But time didn't seem to be an issue. She always finished in less than an hour and scores weren't too bad.
She thought the papers were very similar to the Susan Daughtrey books :-)
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

IPS, Athey & SD VR papers are pretty similar and kind of have the same feel about them.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

We haven't done IPS and SD VR papers yet. I was thinking of giving her CGP after Athey but will it be a good idea to make her do IPS and SD VR papers before CGP? I have read some posts here saying CGP is quite hard. I need to check if I have SD VR papers.

Is the difficulty level same across all papers/subjects or do they vary by subject ?
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

berks_mum wrote:We haven't done IPS and SD VR papers yet. I was thinking of giving her CGP after Athey but will it be a good idea to make her do IPS and SD VR papers before CGP? I have read some posts here saying CGP is quite hard. I need to check if I have SD VR papers.

Is the difficulty level same across all papers/subjects or do they vary by subject ?
I suppose it depends on the child taking the test, from experience the same child scoring 90%+ on Athey will probably score the same on the IPS and SD papers (Books & Bright Sparks). I think the levels are about the same.

Do bear in mind they are not really CEM, just some of the questions will be suitable. I guess at this stage they are good confidence builders leading up to harder material....what's harder? I agree with you I also think the CGP stuff is tougher.

I'm not a big fan of the new Bond CEM papers (especially the NVR) as I think they've just taken chunks from their previous material and glossed over CEM style!
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

sonasona wrote: I suppose it depends on the child taking the test, from experience the same child scoring 90%+ on Athey will probably score the same on the IPS and SD papers (Books & Bright Sparks). I think the levels are about the same.
During first iteration ?
Do bear in mind they are not really CEM, just some of the questions will be suitable. I guess at this stage they are good confidence builders leading up to harder material....what's harder? I agree with you I also think the CGP stuff is tougher.

I'm not a big fan of the new Bond CEM papers (especially the NVR) as I think they've just taken chunks from their previous material and glossed over CEM style!
Didn't know Bond is doing new CEM style papers. We haven't done any Bond yet.

Mods, Can we poll difficulty levels of all publications and make the results a sticky?