Word to code

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Word to code

Post by Guest »

Can anyone help me on a Tutors question that my daughter got wrong?

The code for POWER is KLDVI.
Work out the code for FROST

The answer is UILHG.

How does one work this out?

MA

Post by Guest »

This is a counting in from the ends of the alphabet question; thus P is 11 letters from the end of the alphabet and K is 11 letters from the beginning; O is 12 letters from the end, L is 12 letters from the beginning and so on.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear MA

It’s a Mirror Image Code…

The code for POWER is KLDVI.
Work out the code for FROST

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

M and N are the Mirror.

P is 2 away from the mirror, its image is K
O is 1 away from the mirror, its image is L
W is the 4th letter coming in from the right, its mirror will be 4 coming in from the left ie. D

etc etc

FROST

F comes in 6 from the left, 6 from the right = U
R comes in 9 from the right, 9 from the left = I
O is 1 away from the mirror, its image = L
S is 8 from the right, 8 from the left = H
T comes in 7 from the right, 7 from the left = G

It depends on how close to the mirror whether your child wants to come in from the left or right, or wants to see how many letters it is away from the mirror [preference of the child.]

Patricia

word to code

Post by Guest »

Dear Patricia,

Thanks for the explanation. I would never have worked it out!!

MA
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi Patricia

At my sis in laws over the weekend she showed me some stuff that her daughter is being tutored on for VR. One type of question is 'Opposites'?? They are not covered in the Technique book I have but she has been told they do come up in the VR tests. Could it be because her daughter wil be doing the Berks test?

Mel
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel

By this I am assuming you mean opposites in meaning, ie type H from IPS. You need to find one word from each group of 3, a pair of words that are opposite in meaning. Yes they are part of the NFER 21 types .

Which technique book do you have?

Patrici
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Mel

Although the opposite meaning questions do make up part of the NFER 21 question type set, they do not occur in the shop bought NFER papers that only cover 15 question types.

There are, therefore, five other question types that also do not occur in the NFER papers, these are the I, K, N, O and S questions as listed by IPS, or question types listed 17-21 by The Tutors.

You can see the full NFER Verbal Reasoning 21 question types range on The Tutors Verbal Reasoning CD1 Free Demo. Just click on the "Interactive CDs" link at the top of this page, locate The Tutors Verbal Reasoning CD1 Demo link, click on that and you will find five questions for each of the 21 question types.

There is also a free Verbal Reasoning Methods & Techniques course that utilises the free demo questions. This can be found via the home page, Free Downloads links, page down until you find Downloads from The Tutors and click on Method & Technique Course.

The Method & Technique Course can be worked through on-line, there is no need to print off the full document set. If you want to work on a specific question type, go to the index page and click the question type you want to work with, there is a direct link to it.

Regards

Mike
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Good morning Patricia,

Oh dear I think all these question types are confusing me. :oops:

I feel like a complete 'Lemon' (excuse the Pun on Pancake day). I realise that yes ofcourse there are the opposite types 'H' and dd and I have already covered them in the IPS technique book we have. Actually last night when doing the IPS additional questions(which we are on now) we came to the type 'H'. It seems like ages since we done them(in Tech book) but I guess because the Additional q's book sets the types out in order and are not mixed up, I had just forgot we had done them.

At the moment we are as I said going through IPS Additional questions, which is very good. The only thing is my daughter does become a little bored when doing some of the 12 on the same type. I am now splitting them so she does 6 each of 3 or 4 different types rather then 12 of a whole type.

Not wanting to sound too critical but I think if the book were set out with say 4 q's of 3 different types on each page this would be better and may keep it more interesting.

However baring in mind I am a little forgetful perhaps its just me that thinks that.

Mel
:oops:

Mike thanks for the tip on the free tech course on here. may ask DD to log on in order to do more practise on the code type q's as these are the ones that take so long takes so long
patricia

Post by patricia »

Good Morning Mel

Have you seen the IPS daily practice tests, they are short daily tests [ small dose of a mixture of questions]

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... %3D8%23b89

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... 3D8%23b133

Patricia
Road Runner

Melx

Post by Road Runner »

Thanks Patricia I may get some.

As I said we are still going through the IPS additional q's at present. I'm not timing at present. DD is currently scoring between 4/6 and 6/6 and she is slower on the codes(though she gets 100%). The ones she gets wrong are words she doesn't know. She does read but to be honest the books she reads, currently J. Wilson's own diary do not really contain wide vocab. At present we tend to do 11+ practise every other day for 30-45 minutes. I'm doing this based on your initial advice about shorter periods first and will then move on to longer when we are doing actual tests. Do you think It would be better to do the practise one day then vocab learning on the other rather then all practise every other. Baring in mind she gets a fair amount of school homework too and wants her 'free time'.

Do you think every other day is too much??

Sorry for waffling

Mel
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now