Familiarisation Pack Quotes

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scatshouse

Familiarisation Pack Quotes

Post by scatshouse »

Below are two extracts from the NFER Verbal Reasoning Familiarisation Test Instruction Manual.

Under the heading 'How much Familiarisation and Practice are Needed?'

"If pupils work through the Familiarisation Test booklet, making sure that they understand how to do each different type of question, and then take the formal Practice Tests under test conditions, they should be thoroughly prepared for the real selection tests."

Second paragraph under the heading "Instructions for Using the Familiarisation Test Booklet and Answer Sheet"

"Not all the questions are as difficult as those included in the formal Practice Tests, or in the real selection tests. The scores pupils obtain on this test will not reflect their score on the actual selection tests."

Are they honestly trying to say that this would be enough for children to complete 2 real tests in 50 minutes in test conditions and also, how many parents/teachers believe this?

I must admit that 2 years ago I believed this until, 6 weeks before the exam, I heard that children are tutored and it was a mad dash to find a tutor for my daughter.

Hopefully, with the great help I've received from this site, this year my son will be better prepared!

Scatshouse

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi

If every child was prepared following NFER guidelines, then there would be a level playing field for all, there would be lower pass marks, less competition for places and the sky would be pink with fluffy candy floss clouds.

However, NFER publish their own practice papers, are they suggesting that you do not buy them? Or that you only buy their papers, because their papers mirror the Real 11+ tests, in some LEAs such as Wirral and Bucks they definitely do not.

NFER have been creating their own statistics, believing them, then trying to convince everyone that as they are a Foundation for Educational Research everyone else should also believe them.

Fortunately for Private Tutors, Preparatory Schools and publishers of 11+ material the underlying consensus is not to accept everything that NFER print.

Regards

Mike

Post by Guest »

My son's school peddle the above line on 6 hours practice & 2 tests & you'll be OK - like many on the Wirral. Headmaster speaks like he believes it. The playing field definitely isn't level but the LA seem to do little about it.

Mike - I'm interested in your comment above - which papers do you think most closely match the NFER tests for Wirral - sorry probably should move this question to Wirral forum.