Triple operations for number codes- help please

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

QUEENMA

Re: Triple operations for number codes- help please

Post by QUEENMA »

Hi ToadMum
I saw all the posts together hence did not get a chance to respond to your request earlier.

Also, imho, the answer should not dictate the method ?

Actually I do have a dilemma about some VR and NVR answers - some of them do have more than one answer - more than one rationale - what is to say the answer provided is the only right way of solving the puzzle ? Unfortunately because there is no way of showing your work and the tests are computer marked - children will suffer in the event of such a situation. I have seen answer books though that provide both answers !

Queenma
Bibliovore

Re: Triple operations for number codes- help please

Post by Bibliovore »

ToadMum wrote:
QUEENMA wrote:Bang on Here_goes ! That is the answer provided.
The problem appears in a very reputed tuition class's test papers.

Queenma
Ah, so the answer was given... (I did ask :) ).

Bibliovore might have been able to come up with a method which didn't result in a(n incorrect) decimal, had the answer been posted in the first place, perhaps?
Indeed, having the answer would make knowing the correct method easier! However, there really shouldn't be two correct answers (I know mine had decimals but unless the question specifies integers or "whole numbers" then that shouldn't be ruled out). During our 11+ prep we came across a number of cases where there were two possible answers, but only one answer was given in the answers section of the paper/book (these were mostly maths, though a couple of English/VR ones, too - mostly GL as it happens). Those questions should have been better vetted, as in an actual exam a DC could unfairly lose a mark for simply taking a different (but valid) approach to the one the question-setter thought of.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now