Books list

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Exams2018

Books list

Post by Exams2018 »

Hi all,

My Y4 DD currently has Horrid Henry series, Matilda and Butterfly Lion. She doesn't start on her own but if I prompt, she is happy to read and seems to enjoy reading (strange behaviour - I know!)

Please can someone help me put a list together? Which books would you recommend for building a good vocabulary? (Vocab all the way up to 11+ standard)

Daogroupie

Re: Books list

Post by Daogroupie »

She should be beyond Horrid Henry by now. All MM and RD is good. I would also recommend Tom Sawyer, Anne of Green Gables, Wind in the Willows, Treasure Island, What Katy did, Heidi, Little Women, The Secret Garden, A Little Princess, The Jungle Book and all Edith Nesbit books.

That will give you the vocabulary that you will not get from Jackie Wilson, David Williams and Horrid Henry.

Which exams is she sitting? DG
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Year 4 suggestions that my dd enjoyed (and my ds also enjoyed but probably about 18 months older than his sister when he liked them):
Harry Potter series.
Anything by Arthur Ransome
"The Dragonfly Pool" by Eva Ibbotson. Also "Journey to the River Sea" but not as much as "The Dragonfly Pool"
"The Mysterious Benedict Society" books
Slightly later/older:
"Wildwoods" series
Anything by Cornelia Funke
"A Face like Glass" and other books by Frances Hardinge
Slightly younger but still worth looking for now:
"The Little Princess" by Frances Hodgson Burnett
My dd was not a big fan of the true classics like Anne of Green Gables (my all time favourite book!) and she loathed Michael Morpurgo and so I had to work to find books that she loved but that were well written too. I would highly recommend all of the above lists. I loved them all too. The Mysterious Benedict Society series is particularly good but should really be read in order.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The Roman Mysteries series by Caroline Lawrence?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Fantastic series. Really recommend it. DG
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

ToadMum wrote:The Roman Mysteries series by Caroline Lawrence?
Both my children loved this too and it's a really good one for year 4/5.