Post by izhaoli »

invoiced, juicer, misplaced, spiced, officer

the answer is misplaced.

Could someone explain why, please?

Many thanks
Y

Re: find the word that is not related to the others

Post by Y »

Odd number of letters? Other words have even number?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

The others are all nouns with an extra letter at the end (so are derived from nouns, sorry I don't know the technical term for this). But misplace isn't a noun. Is that it?
Skiptolou

Post by Skiptolou »

All the other words have the letter sequence 'ic'?
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

All the other words have 'ice'.
AdamV

Post by AdamV »

grgygirl wrote:All the other words have 'ice'.
I agree, that's what I saw. Nothing to do with the words as such, and not even picking out a particular phonic group.

Alternative (officially wrong of course): "Officer", because all the others are derived from verbs (admittedly invoice, juice, spice are each both a verb and a noun). How arbitrary are these questions? How easy for someone to get a wrong answer that they can completely justify, especially with a little MORE understanding of the words themselves.
Reminds me of when kids ask "who is the odd one out?" and it could be any one of the group for different reasons of clothing, hair, age, meal they are eating etc.

First time around with 11+ for our son I was astounded how much of the verbal reasoning was nothing to do with the meaning of words or language, nothing like doing a comprehension test for example (lots of it *is* about meaning, synonyms, antonyms, correct parts of speech etc of course, but a huge amount is not).
I was amazed to discover lots of things which were essentially letter puzzles, or even worse simply codes in which the letters were just arbitrary symbols used for convenience and familiarity - all these questions wanted was for you to be able to count forward a few then back a few, and repeat the sequence. Could have been numbers just as easily as letters. This was fine for our lad who loves puzzles, codes, and numbers, but is a bit more challenging for DD taking 11+ in September.