Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rcbhowal

Antonym and Syonym

Post by rcbhowal »

Dear All
I am new in this group.

My son came into this country March 2016 from non-speaking English country, even he never used English before. Since then I have been trying to improve his English by different ways. Now he is really struggling to define the words similarity.

This September 2018 he is trying for Ilford grammar school.

I tried to put him to private Tuition centre but he can't grasp with other people and since than I have been trying myself at home as I understand his strength and weakness.

We tried few Mock exams he is getting 70-75% overall score. Would it be enough to get the place in Ilford grammar school?

Please advise me.

Thank you

Rabindra
RedDevil66

Re: Antonym and Syonym

Post by RedDevil66 »

Are you sure this is the right route for your DS?

I have years of experience teaching English to non native and even native speakers of English. The 11+ has specific English needs that require a knowledge beyond someone just starting out, even if he's been here for 2 years.

An 11+ tutor will be engaged in preparing for the exam and what your DS needs is an experienced ESOL teacher to bring him up to speed with the KS2 curriculum.

I know Ilford Boys well and it's competitive enough to get in there;many able pupils 'fail' but are very able pupils.