Advice for tutoring DC taking test this year

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

patricia

Post by patricia »

patricia wrote:Dear Mel

I insist my children leave Zs till last BUT they must not leave anything else out, they must plough on and answer the questions. I do NOT believe in the ' 30 second per question' its so obvious that some questions, particularly codes take longer. The children soon know which ones, they just say to themselves' I know these codes will take a long time BUT I can do them and I will score 100% marks'

Yes try giving some codes separately, copy them from other tests [she most likely will not remember] make a sheet for you, make it into a game, see if she can beat you. Does she check after she has found the first 3 letters?

Vocab is definetely the problem with ALL children, seeing words out of context.

1] reading out aloud is essential, discussing vocab

2] scabble, adult version, allowing them to use a dictionary.

3] using 'harder' words in your every day language.

'I must stoop to pick up my pen.' 'I must put the rubbish out for the refuse men.' 'You need to modify your answer.'

Patricia
Bucks Mum

Post by Bucks Mum »

Hi Mel

It depends what you mean by 'do'!

We've covered most of the question types from IPS so now it's about doing 'exam' technique and I have to be honest and say we haven't got in to a set routine yet.

DS is bright so he 'gets' how to do most of the questions but he is pathologically lazy and also doesn't read anywhere near enough...he 's a very good reader but wings it rather than actually reads fiction...even all the 'boy' stuff like Alex Ryder leaves him cold. So my main aim is to not let him peak too soon or throw a strop about doing the work.

So in short, I've just started working my way through the papers as per Patricia's suggested regime plus trying to 'test' him verbally on vocab and times tables in the car etc. So at the moment it's one test a week and lots of 'hidden' coaching, like letting him watch 'Are You brighter than a Ten Year Old?' on TV or making him read the sports pages on the back of the Daiy Mail...anything to keep him ticking over and absorbing vocab.

I am a bit of a tyrant at heart though...so he doesn't know it but come August he's going to get a lot of timed tests which is why I'm spreading them out at the moment!!!!
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi Bucks Mum

Yes I too have got all the papers as per Patricias advice and am following her good advice on administering it all. We went through the Method & Tech book first then went on to Additional quetsions. We have just started on the 30 min tests but am worried if I just keep giving my DD the tests to do she will get bored.

Mel
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Patricia

As I've said I am following your previous advice on administering all the papers but wanted to clarify as we are now on the 30 minute tests how many should I be asking her to do. More then one a week and what in between. Do I start her on the CD roms or is it too soon. I want to ensure I stay structured and not move to fast or to slow.

At the moment we are doing tuition three times a week for an hour each time.

Also as we have already identified that the codes slow her down what do you think about my cutting some codes out and just getting her to do these in say strips of four to see if it will her speed up.

Am I worrying about speed to soon.

Sorry to be a pain Patricia by bombarding you with all these questions but you'e the expert when it comes to tutoring.

Mel
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel

Have answered the code query above, yes give her extra practice until she feels confident.

I think you are doing a tad too much. I would see my children for 1 hour a week, I would mark their previous weeks test, go through any mistakes, continue practicing various types [ rolling over each week, cannot cover 21 in an hour], continulaly timing for each section eg a group of 6 C codes about 4/5 mins, a group of 6 finding the hidden letter about 2 minutes.

Between visits the child will complete

1] 1 test

2] finish off a times table square [they start while I quickly mark up their test]

3] complete at least 5 vocab flash cards.

This should take them about 50 mins to 1.15 hrs [depending on whether they are at the 30 min or 50 minute test stage.]

Cds, as and when but not use alone, pen and paper MUST be used for the majority of time.

Patirica

Ps, I like Bucks Mums, hidden coaching idea...
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Patricia

What do you mean by completing Vocab Flash Cards??

I have made lots of cards using the compound words and we do play games using them. I have also printed the 'useful word' list from this site and am going through these looking up in the dictionery learning definitions etc

Mel
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel

In the free downloads is a word list I use, together with some instructions...

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/pdf/11 ... tricia.pdf

Vocab as you are probably aware is the biggest problem with VR [ words out of context]

Its reading out loud, using harder vocab in your everyday language, playing scrabble with the aid of a dictionary. In addition, Mike [ The Tutors ] has a vocab builder CD, take a look at the demo.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/cd/the ... lume-1.php

Patricia
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hello again

Yes will get some blue tack. I think the easier we can make some of the stuff seem informal learning the better.

Patricia talking about workings, writing things down etc do you know do the children get some rough paper when they do the test. I have been telling my dd to make notes on the question paper as wasn't sure whether its a good idea to get her used to having rough paper??

Also another question for you or anyone. What is the best way to help her recall the laphabet quickly in her head when doing codes. I noticed when she was practising them that she always looks up at the alphabet rather then just saying it to herself. Now I know there will be an alphabet shown where needed but surely just using it because it is there will slow her down.

Furthermore do you think she should learn it backwards

Thanks

Mel
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel

Just to confuse, Blue tack and sequences are on the other thread. ..

For Bucks 11 plus, Never use rough paper, as it is not given in the real test. All workings out should be done on the question booklet, there is enough room. [again good practice, why use rough paper then find you cannot use it the real exam.]

Alphabet, yes they need familarity, do not NEED to know it backwards, if she wants to fine. Must use the alphabet given, but must not use eyes to go from 1 letter to the next as eyes can wander off to next or preceding letter. Use tip of the pencil to move from letter to letter [without using marks or loops as the alphabet quickly becomes messy and illegible.]

I know it sounds like non stop rules with not many exceptions, but I tell my children that in life and school they can make many choices and have freewill to experiment, but with the 11 plus, keep to the rules and you will not go wrong, especially as they are working under extreme pressure.

Patricia
shen

format

Post by shen »

Hi I am new to this forum, wonder what is the format in watford gs
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now