Verbal Reasoning for SW Herts

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

confusedmummyofboys

Verbal Reasoning for SW Herts

Post by confusedmummyofboys »

Hi everyone,

I am slightly addicted to this forum and reading posts especially the moderator comments!!

I am currently feeling rather overwhelmed. I had originally planned for Independent schools for 11+ but we have decided to opt for Watford Grammar as our first choice. I feel very out of touch with what to expect. I do not know anyone who has gone there in the last few years.

I understand the exam has changed from CEM to GL this year. My son is at a school outside of Watford where not many can sit these exams. So I do not have much exposure to the exam. He recently sat the City 10+ which had Verbal reasoning and did well (according to CLSB feedback) in VR. He loves Verbal reasoning. I will be DIY tutoring him.

What level is required for SW herts exam? What should I be using to prepare him? I have picked up names like Walsh, the tutors, bright sparks and FPTP from other messages. Is this where i should start?

Grateful for any help!
ontarget

Re: Verbal Reasoning for SW Herts

Post by ontarget »

Don't forget GL Assessment themselves. At the end of the day, they are the best.
Buy their official packs from here or other bookshops. They also have a book explaining how to solve VR etc
confusedmummyofboys

Thank you
I originally thought the same, however the thread information worried me it may not be enough. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
AML

Post by AML »

Out of interest why did you sit the 10+ city boys? Are you in the inner catchment area for Watford?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

In my experience using a range of publishers for all the different exam formats is very helpful so I would encourage you to use different publishers for the GL VR and Maths at SW Herts.

Little and often is the key.

In VR talking about the words and trying to use them in daily conversation really helps.

A lot of the English VR is general knowledge so talking through it at mealtimes and in the car rather than being on phones does really help. VG
confusedmummyofboys

Thank you Daogroupie. Had a conversation at his school yesterday. They suggested not sticking to any 1 board and using range of books. Which i will.

AML it is a long story re 10+. It was my first choice school for my son. I feel he is a boy who will flourish in Secondary and needs the environment to bring out the best in him. He has certain issues with English (due to a number of reasons beyond his control) which i need him to work on. Whilst I would have loved him to go at 10 I knew he was not ready and needed him to wake up that he intellect is not enough, he has to work hard too. I could write an essay in response but will stop here!
confusedmummyofboys

AML wrote:Out of interest why did you sit the 10+ city boys? Are you in the inner catchment area for Watford?
yes am inner catchment. 34 places!!! eek
Jeanieeveritt

Post by Jeanieeveritt »

Have any of you used 11 plus life line for DIY preparation ?
Answers by pm only please.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now