Help please on code question

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SleepyHead

Re: Help please on code question

Post by SleepyHead »

hermanmunster wrote:
BucksBornNBred wrote:I think you are overthinking this particular example. Z appears in both codes which discounts three options. Of the two options left one has the same letter twice (dead) but the code has 4 unique letters therefore "deaf" is the only real option. Start with the obvious before breaking out the whole alphabet would be my advice.
Good advice, re excluding the impossible answers - actually thinking about it, that is how I would have done it when I did 11 plus.

That's a great way of eliminating the wrong answers - thank you for all your replies :)
BucksBornNBred

Re: Help please on code question

Post by BucksBornNBred »

SleepyHead wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:
BucksBornNBred wrote:I think you are overthinking this particular example. Z appears in both codes which discounts three options. Of the two options left one has the same letter twice (dead) but the code has 4 unique letters therefore "deaf" is the only real option. Start with the obvious before breaking out the whole alphabet would be my advice.
Good advice, re excluding the impossible answers - actually thinking about it, that is how I would have done it when I did 11 plus.

That's a great way of eliminating the wrong answers - thank you for all your replies :)
This was the way we were taught (by the school in my day) to approach this type of question. If it isn't immediately obvious then you have only lost a few seconds before going on to use a codebreaker - if it is immediately obvious then you have saved valuable time for the rest of the test!

I do wonder about the wisdom of not teaching for the 11+ as they are logic skills that I still use to this day. Good luck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now