Richmond boy going to Whitgift

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bozo

Richmond boy going to Whitgift

Post by bozo »

Hi just been through the 11+ and considering Whitgift for my son to start in september 2017 in Y7 - but wondering if anyone else has children going there from Richmond? as school quite far so would like my son to travel with another boy if possible... Thoughts welcome...
Maap

Re: Richmond boy going to Whitgift

Post by Maap »

Hi Bozo - You might want to move your post to the Independent Schools section where you might get more responses.

Have you looked into whether the Whitgift school bus runs from Richmond?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Whitgift used to have a bus running from New Malden. Check the current route. May be he will find it easy if dropped/picked up from some feasible point.
bozo

Post by bozo »

Thanks tiffinboys - had a look at buses routes as would be nicer :) but would need to get bus from malden at 6:55 so would need to leave Richmond at 6:30 and would get to school at 7:55 so 1.5 hour of transport each way... seems way too long for an 11 year old... sadly!!
Thansk Maap will post to Independent school :)
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Most indie children from Richmond might be going to Hampton or Kingston Grammar. Is that an option for your child?

Whitgift is really too far even if travelling by car.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

In DS's year group there are boys from Wimbledon/Kingston area, Streatham, Balham and Clapham and a lot of them come by train (when Southern is not on strike!). I'm not aware of anyone from Richmond, but that's just one year group. Richmond does seems a bit far for a commute to Whitgift and back in rush hour, though.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Bee

Post by Bee »

I know a boy who travels from Hounslow, overground to Clapham, then fast train to east Croydon and a short bus ride as per his parents. They say door to door it's an hour, for you it will be quicker as you have fast trains from Richmond
bozo

Post by bozo »

thanks for all your answers! Yes it is far but he really liked the school and did not like Hampton... We tried KGS but did not get interviewed... but now interviewed for Latymer so will see... Latymer definitely closer :)
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

All the best. Good Luck